Determinizing asynchronous automata
- 123 Downloads
An asynchronous automaton consists of a set of processes that cooperate in processing letters of the input. Each letter read prompts some of the processes to synchronize and decide on a joint move according to a non-deterministic transition relation.
Zielonka's theorem tells us that these automata can be determinized while retaining the synchronization structure. Unfortunately, this construction is indirect and yields a triple-exponential blow-up in size.
We present a direct determinization procedure for asynchronous automata which generalizes the classical subset construction for finite-state automata. Our construction is only double-exponential and thus is the first to essentially match the lower bound.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CMZ]R. Cori, Y. Metivier, W. Zielonka: Asynchronous mappings and asynchronous cellular automata, Inf. and Comput., 106 (1993) 159–202.Google Scholar
- [DM]V. Diekert, A. Muscholl: Deterministic asynchronous automata for infinite traces, Proc. STACS '93, LNCS 665 (1993) 617–628.Google Scholar
- [GP]P. Gastin, A. Petit: Asynchronous cellular automata for infinite traces, Proc. ICALP '92, LNCS 623 (1992) 583–594.Google Scholar
- [KMS]N. Klarlund, M. Mukund, M. Sohoni: Determinizing asynchronous automata, Report DAIMI-PB 460, Computer Science Department, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark (1993).Google Scholar
- [Maz]A. Mazurkiewicz: Basic notions of trace theory, in: J.W. de Bakker, W.-P. de Roever, G. Rozenberg (eds.), Linear time, branching time and partial order in logics and models for concurrency, LNCS 354, (1989) 285–363.Google Scholar
- [MS]M. Mukund, M. Sohoni: Gossiping, asynchronous automata and Zielonka's theorem, Report TCS-94-2, School of Mathematics, SPIC Science Foundation, Madras (1994). See also “Keeping track of the latest gossip: Bounded timestamps suffice”, Proc. FST&TCS '93, LNCS 761 (1993) 388–399.Google Scholar
- [Mus]A. Muscholl: On the complementation of Büchi asynchronous cellular automata, Proc. ICALP 1994.Google Scholar
- [Zie1]W. Zielonka: Notes on finite asynchronous automata, R.A.I.R.O.—Inf. Théor. et Appl., 21 (1987) 99–135.Google Scholar
- [Zie2]W. Zielonka: Safe executions of recognizable trace languages, in Logic at Botik, LNCS 363 (1989) 278–289.Google Scholar