Power efficient filtering of data on air
Organizing massive amount of information on communication channels is a new challenge to the data management and telecommunication communities. In this paper, we consider wireless data broadcasting as a way of disseminating information to a massive number of battery powered palmtops. We show that different physical requirements of the wireless digital medium make the problem of organizing wireless broadcast data different from data organization on the disk. We demonstrate that providing index or hashing based access to the data transmitted over wireless is very important for extending battery life and can result in very significant improvement in battery utilization. We describe two methods (Hashing and Flexible Indexing) for organizing and accessing broadcast data in such a way that two basic parameters: tuning time, which affects battery life, and access time (waiting time for data) are minimized.
KeywordsAccess Time Data Segment Control Index Tuning Time Broadcast Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rafael Alonso and Hank Korth, “Database issues in nomadic computing,” MITL Technical Report, December 1992.Google Scholar
- David Cheriton, Dissemination-Oriented Communication Systems, Stanford University, Tech. Rept. 1992.Google Scholar
- T. Imielinski, S.Viswanathan and B.R. Badrinath, “Data on the Air — Organization and Access,” Tech Report, DCS-Rutgers University-Oct 93.Google Scholar
- T. Imielinski, B. R. Badrinath and S.Viswanathan, “Data Dissemination in Wireless and Mobile Environment,” Winlab-Rutgers University, Oct 93.Google Scholar
- David Gifford, John Lucassen, and Stephen Berlin, “The application of digital broadcast communication to large scale information systems,” IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications, Vol 3, No. 3, May 1985, pp.457–467.Google Scholar
- T. F. Bowen et.al., “The Datacycle Architecture,” Comm. of the ACM, Vol 35, No. 12, December 1992, pp. 71–81.Google Scholar
- Samuel Sheng, Ananth Chandrasekaran, and R. W. Broderson, “A portable multimedia terminal for personal communications,” IEEE Communications Magazine, December 1992, pp. 64–75.Google Scholar
- Bob Ryan, “Communications get personal,” BYTE, February 1993, pp. 169–176.Google Scholar