Faster sorting and routing on grids with diagonals
We study routing and sorting on grids with diagonal connections. We show that for so-called h-h problems faster solutions can be obtained than on comparable grids without diagonals. In most of the cases the number of transport steps for the new algorithms are less than half the on principle smallest number given by the bisection bound for grids without diagonals.
KeywordsSystolic Array Sorting Algorithm Source Address Destination Address Source Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Kaklamanis and D. Krizanc. Optimal sorting on mesh-connected processor arrays. In Proc. of 3d SPAA, pages 50–59, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Kaufmann, S. Rajasekaran, and J. F. Sibeyn. Matching the bisection bound for routing and sorting on the mesh. In Proc. of 3d SPAA, pages 31–40, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Kaufmann and J. F. Sibeyn. Optimal k-k sorting on meshes and tori. 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kunde. Concentrated regular data streans on grids: Sorting and routing near to the bisection bound. In Proc. of 32d FOCS, pages 141–150, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Kunde. Block gossiping on grids and tori: Sorting and routing match the bisection bound deterministically. In Proc. of 1st ESA, volume 726 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 272–283, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.H. T. Kung and C. E. Leiserson. Systolic arrays (for VLSI). In I. S. Duff and G. W. Stewart, editors, Sparse Matrix Proceedings 1978, pages 256–282. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Leighton. Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures: Arrays, Trees, Hypercubes. Morgan Kaufmann, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Leighton, F. Makedon, and I. Tollis. A 2n — 2 step algorithm for routing in an n × n array with constant size queues. In Proc. of 1st SPAA, pages 328–335, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Park and K. Balasubramanian. Reducing communication costs for sorting on mesh-connected and linearly connected parallel computers. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 9:318–322, 1990.Google Scholar