Periodic constant depth sorting networks
Comparator networks of constant depth can be used for sorting in the following way. The computation consists of a number of iterations, say t, each iteration being a single run through the comparator network. The output of iteration j (j < t) is used as the input for iteration j+1. The output of the iteration t is the output of the computation. In such a way, it is possible to apply a network with a small number of comparators for sorting long input sequences. However, it is not clear how to make such a computation fast.
Odd-Even Transposition Sort gives a periodic sorting network of depth 2, that sorts n numbers in n/2 iterations. The network of depth 8 proposed by Schwiegelshohn  sorts n numbers in O(√nlog n) iterations. Krammer
For a fixed but arbitrary k ∃ ℕ, we present a periodic sorting network of depth O(k) that sorts n input numbers in O(k2 · n1/k) steps.
KeywordsInput Sequence Systolic Array Constant Depth Main Lemma Sorting Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Ajtai, J. Komlós and E. Szemerédi. Sorting in c log n parallel steps. Combinatorica 3 (1983) 1–19.Google Scholar
- 2.K. E. Batcher. Sorting networks and their applications. In AFIPS Conf. Proc. 32, pp. 307–314, 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Dowd, Y. Perl, M. Saks, and L. Rudolph. The periodic balanced sorting network. J. ACM 36 (1989) 738–757.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kik, M. Kutyłowski, G, Stachowiak. Periodic constant depth sorting networks. Tech. Report tr-rf-93-007, Heinz-Nixdorf-Institut, Universität Paderborn, September 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.J. G. Krammer. Lösung von Datentransportproblemen in integrierten Schaltungen. Ph.D. Dissertation, Technical University Munich, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.F. T. Leighton. Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures: Arrays, Trees, Hypercubes (Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, 1992).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Meyer auf der Heide. Personal communication, 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.U. Schwiegelshohn. A shortperiodic two-dimensional systolic sorting algorithm. In IEEE International Conference on Systolic Arrays, pp. 257–264, 1988.Google Scholar