Perpetuality and strong normalization in orthogonal term rewriting systems
We design a strategy that for any given term t in an Orthogonal Term Rewriting System (OTRS) constructs a longest reduction starting from t if t is strongly normalizable, and constructs an infinite reduction otherwise. For some classes of OTRSs the strategy is easily computable. We develop a method for finding the least upper bound of lengths of reductions starting from a strongly normalizable term. We give also some applications of our results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barendregt H. P., Bergstra J., Klop J. W., Volken H. Some notes on lambdareduction, in: Degrees, reductions and representability in the lambda calculus. Preprint no.22, University of Utrecht, Department of mathematics, p. 13–53, 1976.Google Scholar
- 2.Courcelle B. Recursive Applicative Program Schemes. In: J.van Leeuwen ed. Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Chapter 9, vol.B, 1990, p. 459–492.Google Scholar
- 3.Dershowitz N., Jouannaud J.-P. Rewrite Systems. In: J.van Leeuwen ed. Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Chapter 6, vol.B, 1990, p. 243–320.Google Scholar
- 4.Huet G., Lévy J.-J. Computations in Orthogonal Rewriting Systems. In Computational Logic, Essays in Honour of Alan Robinson, ed. by J.-L. Lassez and G. Plotkin, MIT Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.Khasidashvili Z. Optimal normalization in orthogonal term rewriting systems. In: Proc. of the fifth International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, Springer LNCS, vol. 690, C. Kirchner, ed. Montreal, 1993, p. 243–258.Google Scholar
- 6.Khasidashvili Z. On the equivalence of persistent term rewriting systems and recursive program schemes. In: Proc. of the second Israel Symposium on Theory and Computing Systems, Natanya, 1993, p. 240–249.Google Scholar
- 7.Khasidashvili Z. Perpetual reductions and strong normalization in orthogonal term rewriting systems. CWI Report CS-R9345, Amsterdam, July 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.Khasidashvili Z. Perpetual reductions in orthogonal combinatory reduction systems. CWI Report CS-R9349, Amsterdam, July 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.Klop J. W. Combinatory Reduction Systems. Mathematical Centre Tracts n. 127, CWI, Amsterdam, 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.Klop J. W. Term Rewriting Systems. In: S. Abramsky, D. Gabbay, and T. Maibaum eds. Handbook of Logic in Computer Science, vol. II, Oxford University Press, 1992, p. 1–116.Google Scholar
- 11.Nederpelt R. P. Strong normalization for a typed lambda-calculus with lambda structured types. Ph. D. Thesis, Eindhoven, 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.O'Donnell M. J. Computing in systems described by equations. Springer LNCS 58, 1977.Google Scholar
- 13.Van Raamsdonk F. A simple proof of confluence for weakly orthogonal combinatory reduction Systems. Report CS-R9234, CWI Amsterdam, 1992.Google Scholar