Local event structures and Petri nets
In this paper we address the following question: What type of event structures are suitable for representing the behaviour of general Petri nets? We provide a partial answer to this question here. Our answer is partial in that we propose a new class of event structures, called OL-event structures, and show that OLevent structures can be used to represent the behaviour of Petri nets, provided auto-concurrency is filtered out from the behaviour of Petri nets. It turns out that this limited event structure semantics for Petri nets is nevertheless a nontrivial and conservative extension of the (prime) event structure semantics of 1-safe Petri nets provided in [NPW]. We also show that the strong relationship between prime event structures and 1-safe Petri nets established in a categorical framework in [W2] can be extended to the present setting, provided we restrict our attention to the subclass of Petri nets whose behaviours do not exhibit any auto-concurrency.
KeywordsEvent Structure Full Subcategory Left Adjoint Conservative Extension Firing Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B]Boudol, G., (1990), Flow event structures and flow nets, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 469, 62–95.Google Scholar
- [ER]Ehrenfeucht, A., and Rozenberg, G., (1990), Partial 2-structures; part II: state spaces of concurrent systems, Acta Informatica, v. 27, 348–368.Google Scholar
- [HKT1]Hoogers, P.W., Kleijn, H.C.M., and Thiagarajan, P.S., (1992), A trace semantics for Petri nets, Leiden University Techn. Rep. 92-03.Google Scholar
- [HKT2]Hoogers, P.W., Kleijn, H.C.M., and Thiagarajan, P.S., (1993), A restricted event structure semantics for Petri nets, Leiden University Techn. Rep. 93-13.Google Scholar
- [MMS]Meseguer, J., Montanari, U., and Sassone, V., (1992), On the semantics of Petri nets, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 630, 286–301.Google Scholar
- [Mu]Mukund, M., (1992), Petri nets and step transition systems, to appear in Int. J. Foundations of Computer Science.Google Scholar
- [NRT]Nielsen, M., Rozenberg, G., and Thiagarajan, P.S., (1992), Elementary transition systems, Theoretical Computer Science 96, 3–33.Google Scholar
- [W1]Winskel, G., (1987), Petri nets, algebras, morphisms, and compositionality, Information and Computation 72, 197–238.Google Scholar
- [W2]Winskel, G., (1987), Event structures, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 255, 325–392.Google Scholar
- [WN]Winskel, G., and Nielsen, M., (1992), Models for concurrency, to appear in S. Abramsky, D.M. Gabbay, T.S.E. Maibaum eds., Handbook of Logic in Computer Science.Google Scholar