Use and abuse of exceptions — 12 guidelines for proper exception handling
This paper presents a list of twelve guidelines for proper use of exception handling in Ada. After comparing Ad′as exception handling to other mechanisms, each guideline is discussed in depth, illustrated by several examples. Analyzing the Booch Components provides additional substantiation for the presented guidelines. After reading this paper you should be able to distinguish clearly when to use and when not to use exception handling — an important question that every Ada developer should have in mind.
KeywordsStatus Code Exception Handling Error Handling Program Unit Check Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Booch, G. (1987): Software Components with Ada. The Benjamin/Cummings Publ. Co., Inc., Menlo Park, California.Google Scholar
- CSC (1989): Ada Reusability Handbook. Technical Report No. SP-IRD 11, December 1987, revised May 1989. Computer Sciences Corporation, Moorestown, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- DoD (1990): Ada 9X Requirements. Office of the Under Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C., December 1990.Google Scholar
- IEEE (1990): IEEE Standard Glossary of Software Engineering Terminology. IEEE Std 610.12-1990. IEEE Computer Society Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Luckham, D.C., and F.W. von Henke (1985): An Overview of Anna, a Specification Language for Ada. IEEE Software, 2(2), March 1985. pp. 9–22.Google Scholar
- Meyer, B. (1988): Object-oriented Software Construction. Prentice Hall, New York.Google Scholar
- Meyer, B. (1989): From Structured Programming to Object-Oriented Design: The Road to Eiffel. Structured Programming, 10(1), January 1989. pp. 19–39.Google Scholar
- Sommerville, I. (1989): Software Engineering. Addison-Wesley, Wokingham. 3rd Edition.Google Scholar
- SPC (1991): Ada Quality and Style: Guidelines for Professional Programmers. SPC-91061-N, Version 02.00.02. Software Productivity Consortium, Herndon, Virginia.Google Scholar
- Stroustrup, B. (1986): The C++ Programming Language. Addison-Wesley Publ. Company, Reading, Mass. Reprinted edition.Google Scholar