Path orderings for termination of associative-commutative rewriting
We show that a simple, and easily implementable, restriction on the recursive path ordering, which we call the “binary path condition”, suffices for establishing termination of extended rewriting modulo associativity and commutativity.
KeywordsInductive Hypothesis Theorem Prover Function Symbol Precedence Relation Ground Term
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bac92]Leo Bachmair. Associative-commutative reduction orderings. Information Processing Letters. To appear.Google Scholar
- [BP85]Leo Bachmair and David A. Plaisted. Termination orderings for associative-commutative rewrite systems. J. of Symbolic Computation, vol. 1, pages 329–349 (1985).Google Scholar
- [Bjo82]Dines Bjorner, editor. Proceedings of the IFIP Working Conference on Formal Description of Programming Concepts-II. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, West Germany, North-Holland 1982.Google Scholar
- [Der87]Nachum Dershowitz. Termination of rewriting. J. of Symbolic Computation, vol. 3, pages 69–116 (1987).Google Scholar
- [DHJP83]Nachum Dershowitz and Jieh Hsiang and N. Alan Josephson and David A. Plaisted. Associative-commutative rewriting. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Karlsruhe, West Germany, pages 940–944, 1983.Google Scholar
- [DJ90]Nachum Dershowitz and Jean-Pierre Jouannaud. Rewrite systems. In J. van Leeuwen, editor, Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, chapter 6, pages 243–320, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1990.Google Scholar
- [KSZ90]Deepak Kapur, G. Sivakumar and Hantao Zhang. A new method for proving termination of AC-rewrite systems. In Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference of Foundations of Software Technology and Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 472 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 133–148, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Lan79]Dallas S. Lankford. On proving term rewriting systems are Noetherian. Memo MTP-3, Mathematics Department, Louisiana Tech. University, Ruston, LA, 1979.Google Scholar