Greedy packet scheduling
Scheduling packets to be forwarded over a link is an important subtask of the routing process both in parallel computing and in communication networks. This paper investigates the simple class of greedy scheduling algorithms, namely, algorithms that always forward a packet if they can. It is first proved that for various “natural” classes of routes, the time required to complete the transmission of a set of packets is bounded by the sum of the number of packets and the maximal route length, for any greedy algorithm (including the arbitrary scheduling policy). Next, tight time bounds of Θ(n) are proved for a specific greedy algorithm on the class of shortest paths in n-vertex networks. Finally it is shown that when the routes are arbitrary, the time achieved by various “natural” greedy algorithms can be as bad as Ω(n1.5), when O(n) packets have to be forwarded on an n-vertex network.
KeywordsShort Path Schedule Algorithm Greedy Algorithm Schedule Policy Schedule Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BGGJP85]A. E. Baratz, J.P. Gray, P.E. Green, J.M. Jaffe, and D.P. Pozenski, SNA Networks of Small Systems, IEEE Trans. on Comm. sac-3, May 1985, 416–426.Google Scholar
- [BG87]D. Bertsekas and R. Gallager, Data Networks, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1987.Google Scholar
- [CGK88]Israel Cidon, Inder Gopal and Shay Kutten, New Models and Algorithms for Future Networks. Proc. 7th Annual ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, Toronto, Canada, August 1988, 74–89.Google Scholar
- [Ko78]Hisashi Kobayashi, Modeling and Analysis, Addison-Wesley, 1978.Google Scholar
- [LMR88]T. Leighton, B. Maggs, and S. Rao, Universal Packet Routing Algorithms, Proc. 29th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, White Plains, NY, October 1988, 256–269.Google Scholar
- [Mar82]James Martin, SNA: IBM's Networking Solution, Prantice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1982Google Scholar
- [MRR80]J. McQuillan, I. Richer and E.C. Rosen, The New Routing Algorithm for the ARPANET, IEEE Trans. on Commun. com-28, May 1980, 711–719.Google Scholar