Deciding 1-solvability of distributed task is NP-hard
We present a use of graph-theoretic concepts in fault-tolerant distributed systems.
The question of which distributed tasks can be solved by asynchronous protocols in the presence of crash failures has been investigated in recent years. Some of these studies investigate the solvability of specific tasks, providing both positive and negative results.
Given a distributed task, we associate with it certain graphs, that enable us to determine whether this task can be solved in the presence of on faulty processor ([BMZ]), and in this paper we further use this approach to study the following problem: Given a task T for N processors, how difficult is it to determine whether T can be solved in the presence of one faulty processor? We show that this problem is NP-hard for any fixed N≥3.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ABDKPR]C. Attiya, A. Bar-Noy, D. Dolev, D. Koller, D. Peleg, R. Reischuk "Achievable cases in an asynchronous environment", Proc. of the 28th FOCS, October 1987, pp. 337–346.Google Scholar
- [BMZ]O. Biran, S. Moran and S. Zaks, "A combinatorial characterization of the distributed tasks which are solvable in the presence of one faulty processor", Proc. of the 7th PODC, 1988, pp. 263–273.Google Scholar
- [DLPSW]D. Dolev, N. A. Lynch, S. Pinter, E. Stark and W. Weihl, "Reaching approximate agreement in the presence of faults", Journal of the ACM, Vol. 33 no. 3 (1986), pp. 499–516.Google Scholar
- [FLP]M. J. Fischer, N. A. Lynch and M. S. Paterson, "Impossibility of distributed consensus with one faulty process", Journal of the ACM, Vol. 32 No. 2 (1985), pp. 373–382.Google Scholar
- [K]R. M. Karp, "Reducibility among combinatorial problems", in R. E. Miller and J. W. Thatcher (eds.), Complexity of computer computations, Plenum Press, NY (1972), pp. 85–103.Google Scholar
- [MW]S. Moran and Y. Wolfstahl, "Extended impossibility results for asynchronous complete networks" Information Processing Letters 26, 1987/88, pp. 145–151.Google Scholar
- [NT]G. Neiger and S. Toueg, "Automatically increasing the Faulttolerance of distributed systems", Proc. of the 7th PODC, 1988, pp. 248–262.Google Scholar