Playing games with objects
An extension of Ehrenfeucht-Fraissé games for complex objects is exhibited and shown to characterize an extension of relational calculus to complex objects. The games are used to prove expressibility results about the calculus.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AB87]S. Abiteboul and C. Beeri. On the Manipulation of Complex Objects. In Proc. International Workshop on Theory and Applications of Nested Relations and Complex Objects, pages 56–57, Darmstadt, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Ehr61]A. Ehrenfeucht. An application of games to the completeness problem for formalized theories. Fund. Math, 49, 1961.Google Scholar
- [Fag75]R. Fagin. Monadic generalized spectra. Zeitschrift fur Mathematische Logik und Grund. der Math., 21:89–96, 1975.Google Scholar
- [Fra54]R. Fraissé. Sur les classifications des systèmes de relations. Publ. Sci. Univ Alger, I:1, 1954.Google Scholar
- [GV91]S.Grumbach and V.Vianu. Tractable Query Languages for Complex Objects Databases, submitted.Google Scholar
- [HS88]R. Hull and J. Su. On the expressive power of database queries with intermediate types. In 7th ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, 1988.Google Scholar
- [HS89]R. Hull and J. Su. Untyped Sets, Invention and Computable Queries. In 8th ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Imm86]N. Immerman. Relational queries computable in polynomial time. Inf. and Control 68, 86–104, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Kol83]P.G. Kolaitis. Finite model theory. Lecture Notes on Uniform Definability on Finite Structures, 1983.Google Scholar
- [KV84]G.M. Kuper and M.Y. Vardi. A new approach to database logic. In Proc. ACM SIGACT/SIGMOD Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, 1984.Google Scholar
- [KV88]G.M. Kuper and M.Y. Vardi. On the complexity of queries in the logical data model. In Proc. Intern. Conf. on Database Theory, pages 267–280, Bruges, 1988.Google Scholar
- [PvG88]J. Paradaens and D. van Gucht. Possibilities and limitations of using flat operators in nested algebra expressions. In Proc. 7th ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pages 29–38, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Var82]M. Vardi. Relational queries computable in polynomial time. 14th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 137–146, 1982.Google Scholar