Relation-sorted algebraic specifications with built-in coercers: Basic notions and results
A relation-sorted algebraic specification SPEC with built-in coercers is, syntactically seen, quite similar to an order-sorted specification, i.e. SPEC consists of a signature, a set of equations and an arbitrary relation ⊳ on the set of sorts. But our notion of SPEC-algebras is more general. In particular, if two sorts are in the sort relation s⊳s′, then we assume that, in each SPEC-algebra A, the corresponding carriers AS and AS′, are related by an operator AS⊳S′:AS→AS′, which is considered as a component of A, rather than by inclusion AS\(\subseteq\)AS, as required in order-sorted algebras. This allows us to map a sort into a sort and simultaneously forget about some aspects as it occurs in object-oriented programming. Although our approach is more general than order-sorted specification, we et similar results, e.g. concerning the construction of initial algebras and a complete deduction system. Our approach may serve as a general framework for investigating subtypes as injective as well as non-injective conversion.
KeywordsFunction Symbol Operational Semantic Full Subcategory Canonical Operator Subtype Relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruce, K.B. and Wegner, P. : "An Algebraic Model for Subtypes in Object-Oriented Languages (Draft) In: SIGPLAN Vol.21, No.10. (1986) 163–172.Google Scholar
- Ehrig,H., Mahr,B. : "Fundamentals of Algebraic Specification 1-Equations and Initial Semantics" Springer-Verlag 1985.Google Scholar
- Gogolla,M. : "Partially Ordered Sorts in Algebraic Specifications." Proc. 9th CAAP, Cambridge University Press, 139–153. (1984)Google Scholar
- Goguen,J.A. : "Order-Sorted Algebra. Semantics and Theory of Computation." Report No. 14, UCLA computer Science Dept. 1978.Google Scholar
- Goguen,J.A., Jouannaud,J.-P. and Meseguer,J. : "Operational Semantics of Order-sorted Algebra." In: Proc. International Conference on Automata, Languages and Programming, Springer-LNCS 194. (1985)Google Scholar
- Goguen,J.A. and Meseguer,J. : "Order-sorted Algebra Solves the Constructor-Selector, Multiple Representation and Coercion Problems" In: Proc. 1987 Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, Cornell. 1987. 18–29Google Scholar
- Goguen,J.A. and Meseguer,J. : "Order-Sorted Algebra I: Equational Deduction for Multiple Inheritance, Polymorphism, and Partial Operations." Tech. Report SRI (1988).Google Scholar
- Kirchner, C., Kirchner,H. and Meseguer,J. : Operational semantics of OBJ3. In: Proc. 15th ICALP (1988)Google Scholar
- Qian, Zh. : "Relation-Sorted Algebraic Specifications with Built-in Coercers: Parameterization and Parameter Passing." In: Proc. Categorical Methods in Computer Science with Aspects from Topology, LNCS 393, 244–260. (1989)Google Scholar
- Reynolds, J. : "Using category theory to design implicit conversions and generic operations." In: Semantics-Directed Compiler Generation, LNCS 94. (1980) 211–258Google Scholar
- Smolka,G., Nutt,W., Goguen,J.A. and Meseguer,J. : "Order-Sorted Equational Computation" SEKI Rep. SR-87-14. In: H.Ait-Kaci, M.Nivat. (eds.) Resolution of Equations in Algebraic Structures; Academic Press.Google Scholar