Combining behavioral block diagram modelling with circuit simulation
The paper proposes a synthesis of high-level behavioral block diagram modelling and conventional circuit simulation. The aim is to support a systematic top-down methodology for the design of analog circuits and systems as it is well established in digital circuit design. A simple block oriented CSSL-like description has been combined with an enhanced Spice netlist format allowing for mixed behavioral, circuit-level modelling. For verification by means of Spice a preprocessor PreSpice is currently being implemented, which transforms such a mixed-level input description into an interconnection of macromodels. Hence, the dynamic behavior of a system to be designed can be investigated at an early design stage by means of a conventional circuit simulator before decisions on implementation details at circuit level have to be made. Addressing true mixed-level behavioral, circuit simulation the paper concludes by briefly explaining a rather simple mechanism of combining block oriented continuous system simulation with circuit simulation resulting in a glued simulator approach.
Keywordsmixed behavioral circuit-level modelling block diagrams electrical macromodels functional simulation continuous system simulation circuit simulation electronic control systems signal processing systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borutzky, W.: Mixed Level Functional-Circuit Simulation of Analog Systems — A Conceptual Study, GMD Studien Nr. 145, June 1988Google Scholar
- Borutzky, W.: Funktional-elektrische Simulation analoger Schaltungen und Systeme Proceedings 5. Symposium Simulationstechnik, Informatik Fachberichte 179, edited by W. Ameling, pp. 319–324, Springer-Verlag, 1988Google Scholar
- Carley, L. R.; Rutenbar, R. A.: How to automate analog IC designs IEEE SPECTRUM, August 1988Google Scholar
- Diehl, K.: Model-C: An Interactive Tool for Dynamic System Simulation Eastern Simulation Conferences, Orlando, FL, April 1987Google Scholar
- Goodenough, F.: MIXED-MODE SIMULATORS GO BEYOND SPICE ELECTRONIC DESIGN, Dec. 1988, pp. 47–55Google Scholar
- Meerman, J.W.: INTERACTIVE SIMULATION LANGUAGE THTSIM (LSISIM) USERS MANUAL Twente University of Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering, Control and Automation Laboratory, Enschede, The Netherlands, Dec. 1978Google Scholar
- NN.: SABER: A DESIGN TOOL FOR ANALOG SYSTEMS Analog, Inc., Beaverton Oregon, April 1987Google Scholar
- Visweswariah, C. et al.: Model Development and Verification for High Level Analog Blocks Proc. 25th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conf., 1988, pp. 376–382Google Scholar