Efficient emulation of single-hop radio network with collision detection on multi-hop radio network with no collision detection
This paper presents an efficient randomized emulation of single-hop radio network with collision detection on multi-hop radio network without collision detection. Each step of the single-hop network is emulated by O((D+logn/ɛ)logΔ) rounds of the multi-hop network and succeeds with probability≥1−ɛ. (n is the number of processors, D the diameter and Δ the maximum degree). It is shown how to emulate any polynomial algorithm such the probability of failure remains ≤ɛ.
A consequence of the emulation is an efficient randomized algorithm for choosing a leader in a multi-hop network.
KeywordsRadio Network Collision Detection Detection Phase Leader Election Conflict Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ABLP89]Alon N., Bar-Noy A., Linial N. and Peleg D., "On the complexity of radio communication", 21st STOC, pp. 274–285, 1989.Google Scholar
- [BGI87]Bar-Yehuda R., Goldreich O. and Itai A., "On the time complexity of broadcast in radio networks: an exponential gap between determinism and randomization", 6th Symposium on Principles of Distributed Systems, (Aug. 1987).Google Scholar
- [BII87]Bar-Yehuda R., Israeli A. and Itai A., Multiple Communication in Multi-Hop Radio Networks, 8th Symposium on Principles of Distributed Systems, (Aug. 1989).Google Scholar
- [CK85]Chlamtac, I. and Kutten, S., "On Broadcasting in Radio Networks-Problem Analysis and Protocol Design", December (1985), Vol COM-33, No. 12.Google Scholar
- [CW87]Chlamtac, I. and Weinstein O., "The wave expansion approach to broadcasting in multihop radio networks", INFOCOM (April 1987).Google Scholar
- [DIX80]Digital-Intel-Xerox, "The Ethernet data link layer and physical layer specification 1.0" (Sept. 1980).Google Scholar
- [Ga85]Gallager, R., "A perspective on multiaccess channels", IEEE Trans. on Inf. Theory, Vol. IT-31 (1985), 124–142.Google Scholar
- [We87]Weinstein O., "The wave expansion approach to broadcasting in multihop radio networks", M.Sc. Thesis, Computer Science Dept., Technion, Haifa, Israel, (1987).Google Scholar
- [Wi86]Willard D.E., "Log-logarithmic selection resolution protocols in a multiple access channel", SIAM J. on Comput. 15(2), 468–477, (1986).Google Scholar