Retrieving of parts with geometric similarity
Todays CAD applications become less and less manageable if no database system is used. One of the most important queries in these applications is the retrieval of parts with geometric similarity. The information obtained from such similar parts will drastically reduce the overhead for production planning and construction.
In available retrieval and classification systems parts are described using attributes comparable to those in traditional database systems. In our paper, we suggest a system for retrieval of parts with geometric similarity which accesses to a database system storing the geometric data provided by the CAD system. By maintaining, storing and manipulating the complete geometric information of objects, our approach exhibits a flexibility and efficiency for similarity and other queries which is not known in available systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AMWW 86]Alt,H., Mehlhorn,K., Wegener, H., Welzl, E.: ‘Congruence, Similarity and Symmetries of Geometric Objects', in Proc. of the 3rd Ann. Symposium on Computational Geometry, Waterloo, June 1987, pp.308–319 (1987).Google Scholar
- [MO 86]Manola, F., Orenstein, J.: ‘Towards a General spatial Data Model for an Object-Oriented DBMS',in Proc. 12th Int. Conf. on Very Large Databases (1986).Google Scholar
- [PSSWD 87]Paul,H.P.,Schek,H.J.,Scholl,M.H.,Weikum,G.,Deppisch,U., ‘Architecture and Implementation of the Darmstadt Database Kernel System', in Proc. ACM SIGMOD 1987 Annual Conference on Management of Data, pp.196–207 (1987).Google Scholar
- [SK 88]Seeger, B., Kriegel, H.P.: ‘Techniques for Design and Implementation of Efficient Spatial Access Methods', in Proc. 14th Int. Conf. on Very Large Databases, pp. 360–371 (1988).Google Scholar
- [SKSH 89]Schneider, R., Kriegel, H.P., Seeger, B., Heep, S., ‘A system for retrieval of parts with geometric similarity', Technical Report 1/89, Informatik, Universitaet Bremen, FRG.Google Scholar