Characterizations of unification type zero
In the literature several methods have hitherto been used to show that an equational theory has unification type zero. These methods depend on conditions which are candidates for alternative characterizations of unification type zero. In this paper we consider the logical connection between these conditions on the abstract level of partially ordered sets. Not all of them are really equivalent to type zero.
The conditions may be regarded as tools which can be used to determine the unification type of given theories. They are also helpful in understanding what makes a theory to be of type zero.
KeywordsMaximal Element Equational Theory Automate Reasoning Derivation Step Logical Connection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baader, F. (1986). The Theory of Idempotent Semigroups is of Unification Type Zero. J. Automated Reasoning 2.Google Scholar
- Baader, F. (1987). Unification in Varieties of Idempotent Semigroups. Semigroup Forum 36.Google Scholar
- Baader, F. (1988). A Note on Unification Type Zero. Information Processing Letters 27.Google Scholar
- Bürckert, H.J. (1987). Matching — A Special Case of Unification? SEKI Technical Report, Universität Kaiserslautern.Google Scholar
- Bürckert, H.J., Herold, A., Schmidt-Schauß, M. (1987). On Equational Theories, Unification and Decidability. Proceedings of the RTA '87 Bordeaux (France). Springer Lec. Notes Comp. Sci. 256.Google Scholar
- Büttner, W. (1986). Unification in the Data Structure Multiset. J. Automated Reasoning 2.Google Scholar
- Fages, F., Huet, G. (1983). Complete Sets of Unifiers and Matchers in Equational Theories. Proceedings of the CAAP '83 Pisa (Italy). Springer Lec. Notes Comp. Sci. 159.Google Scholar
- Fages, F., Huet, G. (1986). Complete Sets of Unifiers and Matchers in Equational Theories. Theor. Comp. Sci. 43.Google Scholar
- Plotkin, G. (1972). Building in Equational Theories. Machine Intelligence 7.Google Scholar
- Schmidt-Schauß, M. (1986). Unification under Associativity and Idempotence is of Type Nullary. J. Automated Reasoning 2.Google Scholar
- Schmidt-Schauß, M. (1986a). Unifikation Properties of Idempotent Semigroups. SEKI Technical Report, Universität Kaiserslautern.Google Scholar
- Siekmann, J. (1988). Unification Theory. To appear in J. Symbolic Computation.Google Scholar