On the composition and decomposition of datalog program mappings
- First Online:
The composition and decomposition of datalog program mappings are investigated for the purpose of optimization. Composability is studied using an algebraic axiom system. Also considered are (i) the decomposability of a subclass of linear recursive programs into single-rule programs; (ii) the structure of the class of prime programs; and the factorizability of bounded recursive programs into single-rule primes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ABW]Apt, K.R., Blair, H., and Walker, A. Towards a theory of declarative knowledge. In Foundations of Deductive Databases and Logic Programming, J. Minker, Eds., Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Los Altos, 1988, 89–148.Google Scholar
- [BaRa]Bancilhon, F., and Ramakrishnan, R. An amateur's introduction to recursive query processing strategies. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference, 1986, 16–52.Google Scholar
- [CFM]Chakravarthy, U.S., Fishman, D.H., and Minker, J. Semantic query optimization in expert systems and database systems. In Expert Database Systems, Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Expert Database Systems, L. Kerschberg, Eds., 1984, 326.Google Scholar
- [ChLe]Chang, C., and Lee, R.C. Symbolic Logic and Mechanical Theorem Proving, Academic Press, 1973.Google Scholar
- [Do]Dong, G. On cooperative query answering using datalog program modules. Computer Science Department, USC, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Do1]Dong, G. On the composition and decomposition of datalog program mappings. Computer Science Department, USC, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Io]Ioannidis, Y.E. A time bound on the materialization of some recursively defined views. In Proceedings of 11th International VLDB Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Ll]Lloyd, J.W. Foundations of Logic Programming. Springer-Verlag, 1984.Google Scholar
- [NaSa]Naughton, J., and Sagiv, Y. A decidable class of bounded recursion. In Proceedings of the 6th PODS, 1987, 227–236.Google Scholar
- [Sa]Sagiv, Y. Optimizing datalog programs, In Proceedings of the 6th PODS, 1987, 349.Google Scholar
- [Va]Vardi, M.Y. Decidability and undecidability results for boundedness of linear recursive programs. In Proceedings of the 7th PODS, 1988, 341–351.Google Scholar