Update in hierarchical data bases
- First Online:
Usually information comes into a data base by input of documents with fixed structure. In this paper, the process of input in hierarchical data base is formally described. A data base is considered as a result of input of documents and its update is considered as an update of some of the documents with corresponding update of the state of the data base. An algorithm of decomposition of the data base to the source documents is given. The algorithm works in a time that is linear in a volume of input information. Basing upon this algorithm, an algorithm of update with the same time of complexity is obtained.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abiteboul S., Vianu V., Transaction languages for database update and specification. Preprint I.N.R.I.A., 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Blakeley J.A., Larson P.-A., Tompa F.W. Efficiently updating matherialized views. ACM SIGMOD Record, v. 15, 1986, N2, 61–71.Google Scholar
- 3.Delobel C., Adiba M. Relational Database Systems. North-Holland, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Fagin R., Ullman J.D., Vardi M.Y. On the semantics of updates in databases. Proc. 2nd ACM Symp. on the Principles of Database Syst., 1983, 362–365.Google Scholar
- 5.Fagin R., Kuper G.M., Ullman J.D., Vardi M.Y. Updating logical databases. Advances in Computing Research, v.3, 1986, 1–18.Google Scholar
- 6.Iofinova M.E., Komissartschik E.A. Data base consistency and the input information flow. Automatics and Telemechanics, N 3, 1988, 155–167. [In Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.Jajodia S. Universal and representative instances using unmarked nulls. Lect Notes Comp. Sci., v. 181, 1984, 367–378.Google Scholar
- 8.Maier D. Theory of Relational Data Bases. Computer Science Press, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Mark L., Roussopoulos N., Chu B. Update dependencies. Database Semantics (DS-1), T.B. Steel, jr. and R. Meersman (Eds.), North-Holland, 1986, 303–319.Google Scholar
- 10.Sagiv Y. A characterization of globally consistent databases and their correct paths. ACM Trans. Database Syst., v. 8, 1983, N 2, 266–286.Google Scholar