Towards abstracting complex database objects: Generalization, reduction and unification of set-type objects (extended abstract)
Representing and manipulating complex (database) objects are important issues in the semantic database models and object-oriented database models, most of which have a rich expressive power for complex objects. In this paper, we will focus on the manipulation of complex objects, and introduce the notions and the operations for abstracting complex objects. We introduce the notion of "element-based" generalization relationships between complex objects, and two new abstraction operators: reduction and unification. Their algebraic properties are then formally investigated especially for "set-type" complex objects.
KeywordsAssure Hull Stein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AtPa86]Atzeni, P. and Parker, D. S. Jr., "Formal Properties of Net-based Knowledge Representation Schemes", Proc. the 2nd IEEE Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering, pp. 700–706, Feb. 1986.Google Scholar
- [BaKh86]Bancilhon, F. and Khoshafian, S., "A Calculus for Complex Objects", Proc. 5th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 53–59, Mar. 1986.Google Scholar
- [BBKV87]Bancilhon, F., Briggs, T., Khoshafian, S. and Valduriez, P., "FAD, a Powerful and Simple Database Language", Proc. of the 13th International Conference on VLDB, pp. 97–105, Sept. 1987.Google Scholar
- [BCGKWBK87]Banerjee, J., Chou, H.-T., Garza, J. F., Kim, W., Woelk, D., Ballou, N. and Kim, H.-J., "Data Model Issues for Object-Oriented Applications", ACM Trans. on Office Information Systems, Jan. 1987.Google Scholar
- [GoRo83]Goldberg, A. and Robson, D., Smalltalk-80: The Language and Its Implementation, Addison Wesley Reading, Mass., 1983.Google Scholar
- [HuKi87]Hull, R. and King, R., "Semantic Database Modeling: Survey, Applications, and Research Issues", to appear in ACM Computing Surveys, Aug. 1987.Google Scholar
- [Hull87]Hull, R., "A Survey of Theoretical Research on Typed Complex Database Objects", in DATABASES (J. Paredaens ed.), pp. 193–256, Academic Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- [MSOP86]Maier, D., Stein, J., Otis, A. and Purdy, A., "Development of an Object-Oriented DBMS", Tech. Report CS/E-86-005, Oregon Graduate Center, April 1986. (Also, appeared in Proc. of 1986 ACM Conference on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages and Applications).Google Scholar
- [OODS86]International Workshop on Object-Oriented Database Systems, ACM-SIGMOD and IEEE TC on Database Engineering, Pacific Grove, CA, Sept. 23–26, 1986.Google Scholar
- [SmSm77]Smith, J. M. and Smith, D. C. P., "Database Abstractions: Aggregation and Generalization", ACM Trans. Database Systems, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 105–133, June 1977.Google Scholar
- [Stone86]Stonebraker, M., "Object Management in POSTGRES Using Procedures", in [OODS86], pp. 66–72, Sept. 1986.Google Scholar
- [ZABCKM86]Zaniolo, C., Ait-Kaci, H., Beech, D., Cammarata, S., Kerschberg, L. and Maier, D., "Object Oriented Database Systems and Knowledge Systems", in Expert Database Systems (L. Kerschberg ed.), Benjamin/Cummings Pub. Co. Inc., pp. 49–65, 1986.Google Scholar