An O(N2) equivalence algorithm for fan-out free queries
- First Online:
An equivalence algorithm for fan-out free queries, which form an untyped subclass of conjunctive queries, based on an extension of the implication graph technique is presented. This algorithm runs in O(n2) time where n is the size of the queries involved. This algorithm subsumes all known equivalence testing algorithms for various subclasses of fan-out free queries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AHU]A.V.Aho, J.E.Hopcroft and J.D. Ullman, The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- [ASU]A.V.Aho, Y.Sagiv and J.D.Ullman, Equivalences Among Relational Expressions, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol 8, No 2, May 1979.Google Scholar
- [CH]A.K.Chandra and D.Harel, Horn Clause Programs and Generalizations, Journal of Logic Programming, Vol 2, 1985.Google Scholar
- [CM]A.K.Chandra and P.M.Merlin, Optimal Implementation of Conjunctive Queries in Relational Databases, Proc. of 9th ACM-STOC, May 1977.Google Scholar
- [DM]P.Dublish and S.N.Maheshwari, An O(n2) Algorithm for Fan-out Free Query Optimization, Proc. of FST&TCS 7, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 287, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [JK]D.S.Johnson and A.Klug,Optimizing Conjunctive Queries that contain Untyped Variables, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 12, No. 4, Nov 1983.Google Scholar
- [MDM]B.N.S.Murthy, P.Dublish and S.N.Maheshwari, Some Negative Results on the Optimization of Conjunctive Queries, Technical Report TR 85/01, Deptt. of Computer Science and Engg., IIT Delhi, Dec 1985.Google Scholar
- [Mai]D.Maier, The Theory of Relational Database, Computer Science Press, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Sag]Y.Sagiv, Quadratic Algorithms for Minimizing Joins in Restricted Relational Expressions, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 12, No. 2, May 1983.Google Scholar
- [SY]Y.Sagiv and M.Yannakakis, Equivalences Among Relational Expressions with Union and Difference Operators, Journal of ACM, Vol 27, No. 4, Oct 1980.Google Scholar
- [Ull]J.D.Ullman, Principles of Database Systems, Computer Science Press, 1982.Google Scholar