A Resolution Calculus for Dynamic Semantics
This paper applies resolution theorem proving to natural language semantics. The aim is to circumvent the computational complexity triggered by natural language ambiguities like pronoun binding, by interleaving pronoun binding with resolution deduction. To this end, disambiguation is only applied to expressions that actually occur during derivations. Given a set of premises and a conclusion, our resolution method only delivers pronoun bindings that are needed to derive the conclusion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GJW95.B. Grosz, A. Joshi, and S. Weinstein. Centering: A framework for modelling the local coherence of discourse. Computational Linguistics, 21(2), 1995.Google Scholar
- Kam81.H. Kamp. A theory of truth and semantic representation. In J. Groenendijk et al., editor, Formal Methods in the Study of Language. Mathematical Centre, Amsterdam, 1981.Google Scholar
- KK98.M. Kohlhase and K. Konrad. Higher-order automated theorem proving for natural language semantics. SEKI-Report SR-98-04, Universität des Saarlandes, 1998.Google Scholar
- Koh95.M. Kohlhase. Higher-order tableaux. In P. Baumgartner et al., editor, Theorem Proving with Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods, TABLEAUX’95, LNAI, pages 294–309. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- Lov78.D. W. Loveland. Automated Theorem Proving: A Logical Bases. North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1978.Google Scholar
- MdR98.C. Monz and M. de Rijke. A tableaux calculus for ambiguous quantification. In H. de Swart, editor, Automated Reasoning with Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods, TABLEAUX’98, LNAI 1397, pages 232–246. Springer, 1998.Google Scholar
- Mon98.C. Monz. Dynamic semantics and underspecification. In H. Prade, editor, Proceedings of the 13 th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence. (ECAI’98), pages 201–202. John Wiley & Sons, 1998.Google Scholar
- RN95.S.J. Russell and P. Norvig. Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Prentice Hall, 1995.Google Scholar
- vE98.J. van Eijck. A calculus for dynamic predicate logic. Unpublished manuscript, 1998.Google Scholar
- vEJ96.J. van Eijck and J. Jaspars. Ambiguity and reasoning. Technical Report CS-R9616, Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam, 1996.Google Scholar