Rapid Prototyping of Domain-Specific Machine Translation Systems
This paper reports on an experiment in assembling a domain-specific machine translation prototype system from off-the-shelf components. The design goals of this experiment were to reuse existing components, to use machine-learning techniques for parser specialization and for transfer lexicon extraction, and to use an expressive, lexicalized formalism for the transfer component.
KeywordsRapid Prototype Machine Translation Design Goal Function Word Language Pair
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Collins, M. (1996). A new statistical parser based on bigram lexical dependencies. In Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Santa Cruz, CA.Google Scholar
- Joshi, A.K. and Srinivas, B. (1994). Disambiguation of Super Parts of Speech (or Supertags): Almost Parsing. In Proceedings of the 17 th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING’ 94), Kyoto, Japan.Google Scholar
- Lavoie, B. and Rambow, O. (1997). RealPro-a fast, portable sentence realizer. In Proceedings of the Conference on Applied Natural Language Processing (ANLP’97), Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Melamed, I.D. (July, 1997). Automatic Discovery of Non-Compositional Compounds in Parallel Data. In Proceedings of the ACL-97, Madrid, Spain.Google Scholar
- Mel’čuk, I. A. (1988). Dependency Syntax: Theory and Practice. State University of New York Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Nasr, A., Rambow, O., Palmer, M., and Rosenzweig, J. (1997). Enriching lexical transfer with cross-linguistic semantic features. In Proceedings of the Interlingua Workshop at the MT Summit, San Diego, California.Google Scholar
- Rambow, O. and Joshi, A. (1996). A formal look at dependency grammars and phrase-structure grammars, with special consideration of word-order phenomena. In Wanner, L., editor, Current Issues in Meaning-Text Theory. Pinter, London.Google Scholar
- Rambow, O., Nasr, A., Palmer, M., Bleam, T., Collins, M., Kipper, K., Melamed, D., Park, J., Rosenzweig, J., Schuler, W., and Srinivas, B. (1997). Machine translation of battlefield messages using lexico-structural transfer. Technical report, CoGenTex, Inc.Google Scholar
- Resnik, P. and Melamed, I. D. (1997). Semi-Automatic Acquisition of Domain-Specific Translation Lexicons. In Proceedings of the ANLP-97, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Srinivas, B. (1997). Complexity of Lexical Descriptions and its Relevance to Partial Parsing. PhD thesis, Computer Science Department, University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar