On Capturing First-Order Topological Properties of Planar Spatial Databases
Spatial databases are modeled as closed semi-algebraic subsets of the real plane. First-order logic over the reals (expanded with a symbol to address the database) provides a natural language for expressing properties of such databases. Motivated by applications in geographical information systems, this paper investigates the question of which topological properties can be thus expressed.We introduce a novel, two-tiered logic for expressing topological properties, called CL, which is subsumed by first-order logic over the reals. We put forward the question whether the two logics are actually equivalent (when restricting attention to topological properties). We answer this question affirmatively on the class of “region databases.” We also prove a general result which further illustrates the power of the logic CL.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Abiteboul, R. Hull, and V. Vianu. Foundations of Databases. Addison-Wesley, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Benedikt and L. Libkin. On the structure of queries in constraint query languages. In Proceedings 11th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pages 25–34. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Bochnak, M. Coste, and M.-F. Roy. Géométrie Algébrique Réelle. Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.H.-D. Ebbinghaus and J. Flum. Finite Model Theory. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Flum and M. Ziegler. Topological Model Theory, volume 769 of Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag, 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.C.W. Henson, C.G. Jockusch, Jr., L.A. Rubel, and G. Takeuti. First order topology, volume CXLIII of Dissertationes Mathematicae. Polska Akademia Nauk, 1977.Google Scholar
- 13.E.E. Moise. Geometric Topology in Dimensions 2 and 3, volume 47 of Graduate Texts in Mathematics. Springer, 1977.Google Scholar
- 14.C.H. Papadimitriou, D. Suciu, and V. Vianu. Topological queries in spatial data-bases. In Proceedings 15th ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 81–92. ACM Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Paredaens, B. Kuijpers, and J. Van den Bussche. On topological elementary equivalence of spatial databases. In F. Afrati and Ph. Kolaitis, editors, Database Theory—ICDT’97, volume 1186 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 432–446. Springer, 1997.Google Scholar
- 17.A. Pillay. First order topological structures and theories. Journal of Symbolic Logic, 52(3), September 1987.Google Scholar
- 18.D. Thompson R. Laurini. Fundamentals of Spatial Information Systems. Number 37 in APIC Series. Academic Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 19.W. Thomas. Languages, automata, and logic. In G. Rozenberg and A. Salomaa, editors, Handbook of Formal Language Theory, volume III. Springer, 1997.Google Scholar