Complexity of Some Problems in Universal Algebra
In this paper we consider the complexity of several problems involving finite algebraic structures. Given finite universal algebras A and B, these problems ask: (1) Do A and B satisfy precisely the same identities? (2) Do they satisfy the same quasi-identities? and (3) Do A and B have the same set of term operations?
In addition to the general case in which we allow arbitrary (finite) algebras, we consider each of these problems under the restrictions that all operations are unary, and that A and B have cardinality two. We briefly discuss the relationship of these problems to algebraic specification theory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Bergman, D. Juedes, and G. Slutzki, Computational complexity of term-equivalence, Inter. Jour. Algebra and Computation (1997), to appear.Google Scholar
- H. Ehrig and B. Mahr, Fundamentals of algebraic specification 1, Vol. 6 of EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science , 1985, Equations and initial semantics.Google Scholar
- H. Ehrig and B. Mahr, Fundamentals of algebraic specification 2, EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 21, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990, Module specifications and constraints.Google Scholar
- H. Friedman, Function composition and intractability I, manuscript, March 1982.Google Scholar
- D. Johnson, A catalog of complexity classes, Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science (J. van Leeuwen, ed.), vol. A, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990, pp. 69–161.Google Scholar
- D. Kozen, Complexity of finitely presented algebras, Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Symposium on the Theory of Computing, ACM, 1977, pp. 164–177.Google Scholar
- L. Kučera and V. Trnková, The computational complexity of some problems in universal algebra, Universal Algebra and its Links with Logic, Algebra, Combinatorics and Computer Science (P. Burmeister et.al., ed.), Heldermann Verlag, 1984, pp. 261–289.Google Scholar
- W. Taylor, Equational logic, Houston Jour. Math. (1979), iii+83, survey.Google Scholar
- J. Wing, A specifier’s introduction to formal methods, Computer (1990), 8–24.Google Scholar