Indexing Problem Solving Methods for Reuse
This paper is primarily meant as a position paper. After more than ten years of research on the nature of tasks, problem solving methods (PSMs) and ontologies, it appears to me that indexing PSMs by their function (task, goal, problem type) is not a good idea. The alternative — indexing by preconditions of their reuse — does not capture “what a PSM is about”. A third approach is sketched in which not PSMs, but their major components — solution generators and solution testers — are indexed by (the explanation of) their operations.
KeywordsKnowledge Acquisition Problem Type Domain Ontology Expertise Modeling Causal Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBvH96]P. Beys, R. Benjamins, and G. van Heijst. Remedying the reusability-usability trade-off for problem solving methods. In B.R. Gaines and M. Mussen, editors, Proceedings of the KAW-96, Banff, Ca, 1996.Google Scholar
- [BdV94]Joost Breuker and Walter Van de Velde, editors. The CommonKADS Library for Expertise Modeling. IOS-Press, Amsterdam, 1994.Google Scholar
- [BFE98]R. Benjamins and D. Fensel-(Eds.). Special issue on Problem Solving Methods. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 49:305–649, 1998.Google Scholar
- [BFS96]V.R. Benjamins, D. Fensel, and R. Straatman. Assumptions of problem solving methods and their role in knowledge engineering. In W. Wahlster, editor, Poceedings ECAI-96, pages 408–412, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Bre94a]J. Breuker. Components of problem solving. In L. Steels, G. Schreiber, and W. Van de Velde, editors, A Future for Knowledge Acquisition: proceedings of the EKAW-94, European Knowledge Acquisition Workshop, pages 118–136, Berlin, 1994. Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Bre94b]Joost Breuker. A suite of problem types. In Joost Breuker and Walter Van de Velde, editors, The CommonKADS Library for Expertise Modeling. IOS-Press, Amsterdam, 1994.Google Scholar
- [dV88]Walter Van de Velde. Inference structure as a basis for problem solving. In Y. Kodratoff, editor, Proceedings of the 8th EuropeanConference on AI, pages 202–207, London, 1988. Pitman.Google Scholar
- [HRWL83]F. Hayes-Roth, D.A. Waterman, and D.B. Lenat. Building Expert Systems. Addison-Wesley, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- [tTvHSW96]A. ten Teije, F. van Harmelen, A. Th. Schreiber, and B. J.Wielinga. Construction of problem-solving methods as parametric design. In B. R. Gaines and M. A. Musen, editors, Proceedings of the 10th Banff Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based SystemsWorkshop, Alberta, Canada, November 9-14, volume 1, pages 12.1–12.21. SRDG Publications, University of Calgary, 1996.Google Scholar
- [VB96]A. Valente and J. Breuker. Towards principled core ontologies. In Proceedings of the Knowledge Acquisition Workshop-96, 1996. available also at ftp://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/KAW96/73valente.ps.Z.
- [VBB99]A. Valente, J. Breuker, and B. Brouwer. Legal modelling and automated reasoning with ON-LINE. International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 50, 1999. to appear in special issue on legal KBS.Google Scholar