3D Graph Description of the Intracerebral Vasculature from Segmented MRA and Tests of Accuracy by Comparison with X-ray Angiograms
This paper describes largely automated methods of creating connected, 3D vascular trees from individual vessels segmented from magnetic resonance angiograms. Vessel segmentation is initiated by user-supplied seed points, with automatic calculation of vessel skeletons as image intensity ridges and automatic estimation of vessel widths via medialness calculations. The tree-creation process employs a variant of the minimum spanning tree algorithm and evaluates image intensities at each proposed connection point. We evaluate the accuracy of nodal connections by registering a 3D vascular tree with 4 digital subtraction angiograms (DSAs) obtained from the same patient, and by asking two neuroradiologists to evaluate each nodal connection on each DSA view. No connection was judged incorrect. The approach permits new, clinically useful visualizations of the intracerebral vasculature.
KeywordsDigital Subtraction Angiography Segmented Vessel Parent Vessel Vessel Segmentation Skeleton Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aylward, S.R., Pizer, S.M., Bullitt, E., Eberly, D.: Intensity ridge and widths for 3D object segmentation and description. IEEE WMMBIA IEEE 96TB100056 (1996) 131–138Google Scholar
- 3.Bullitt, E., Liu, A., Aylward, S.R., Soltys, M., Boxwala, A., Rosenman, J., Pizer, S.: Methods for displaying intracerebral vascular anatomy. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 18 (1997) 417–420Google Scholar
- 4.Bullitt, E., Liu, A., Pizer, S.M.: Three dimensional reconstruction of curves from pairs of projection views in the presence of error. I. Algorithms. Med. Phys. 24 (1997) 1671–8Google Scholar
- 5.Bullitt, E., Liu, A., Pizer, S.M.: Three dimensional reconstruction of curves from projection views. II. Analysis of error. Med. Phys. 24 (1997) 1679–87Google Scholar
- 6.Bullitt, E., Liu, A., Aylward, S., Pizer, S.M.: Reconstruction of the intracerebral vasculature from MRA and a pair of projection views. Lect. Notes Comp. Sci. 1230 (1997) 537–542Google Scholar
- 7.Chapman, B.E., Sanderson, A.R., Goodrich, K.C., Alexander, A.L., Blatter, D.D., Parker, D.L.: Observer performance methodologies for evaluating blood vessel visibility in MR angiograms using accurate geometric registration to high resolution x-ray angiograms. MRM 37 (1997) 519–529Google Scholar
- 14.Navab, N., Bani-Hashemi, A., Nadar, M.S., Wiesent, K., Durlak, P., Brunner, T., Barth, K., Graumann, R.: 3D reconstruction from projection matrices in a C-arm based 3D angiography system. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1496 (1998) 119–129Google Scholar
- 16.StatXact: CYTEL Software Corporation, Cambridge, Mass (1995)Google Scholar
- 18.Wilson, D., Noble, J.A.: Segmentation of cerebral vessels and aneurysms from MR angiography data. Lect. Notes Comp. Sci. 1230 (1997) 428–433Google Scholar