Non-linear Registration with the Variable Viscosity Fluid Algorithm
In this paper we classify inhomogeneous non-linear registration algorithms into those of variable data influence, of variable deformability and of variable model type. As examples we introduce three modifications of the viscous fluid registration algorithm: passing a filter over the computed force field, adding boundary conditions onto the velocity field, and re-writing the viscous fluid PDE to accommodate a spatially-varying viscosity field. We demonstrate their application on artificial test data, on pre-/post-operative MR head slices and on MR neck volumes.
KeywordsRegistration Algorithm Magnetic Resonance Elastography Elastic Registration Scalp Region High Order Deformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gee, J.C., Le Briquer, L., Barrilot, C., Haynor, D.R. and Bajcsy, R.: Bayesian approach to the brain image matching problem. In SPIE Medical Imaging 1995, San Diego, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Manduca, A., Muthupillai, R., Rossman, P.J., Greenleaf, J.F., and Ehman, R.L. Visualization of tissue elasticity by magnetic resonance elastography. In Karl Heinz Hohne and Ron Kikinis, editors, Visualization in Biomedical Computing. Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Edwards, P.J., Hill, D.L.G., and Hawkes, D.J.: Image guided interventions using a three component tissue deformation model. In Medical Image Understanding and Analysis, Oxford, UK, July 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Christensen, G.E., Rabbitt, R.D., Miller, M.I., Joshi, S.C., Grenander, U., Coogan, T.A., and van Essen, D.C.: Topological properties of smooth anatomic maps. In Y Bizais et al., editors, Information Processing in Medical Imaging, pages 101–112. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.Bro-Nielsen, M. and Gramkow, C.: Fast fluid registration of medical images. In SPIE Medical Imaging, pages 267–276, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.Strikwerda, J.C.: Finite Difference Schemes and Partial Differential Equations, chapter 13: Linear Iterative Methods. Wadsworth and Brooks, 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.Lester, H., Arridge, S.R., and Jansons, K.M.: Local deformation metrics and non-linear registration using a fluid model with variable viscosity. In Proceedings of Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA98), Leeds, UK, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.McMinn, R.H.M, Hutchings, R.T., and Logan, B.M.: Color Atlas of Head and Neck Anatomy. Mosby-Wolfe, London, 2nd edition, 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.Schormann, T., Henn, S., and Zilles, K.: A new approach to fast elastic alignment with applications to human brains. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 1131, pages 337–342. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T., and Flannery, B.P.: Numerical Recipes in C. Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, 1995.Google Scholar