Discovering Dynamics Using Bayesian Clustering
This paper introduces a Bayesian method for clustering dynamic processes and applies it to the characterization of the dynamics of a military scenario. The method models dynamics as Markov chains and then applies an agglomerative clustering procedure to discover the most probable set of clusters capturing the different dynamics. To increase efficiency, the method uses an entropy-based heuristic search strategy.
KeywordsTime Series Hide Markov Model Dynamic Time Warping Bayesian Cluster Multivariate Time Series
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Atkin, D. L. Westbrook, P. R. Cohen, and G D. Jorstad. AFS and HAC: The last agent development toolkit you’ll ever need. In Proceedings of the AAAI Workshop on Software Tools for Developing Agents. American Association for Artificial Intelligence, 1998.Google Scholar
- L. Firoiu and P. R. Cohen. Experiments in abstracting from robot sensor data using hidden markov models. In The Third Symposium on Intelligent Data Analysis. Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1999.Google Scholar
- I. L. MacDonald and W. Zucchini. Hidden Markov and other Models for discretevalues Time Series. Chapman and Hall, London, 1997.Google Scholar
- T. Oates. Identifying distinctive subsequences in multivariate time series by clustering. In Proceedings of the Sixteenth International Conference on Machine Learning. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., 1999. To appear.Google Scholar
- G. Ridgeway and S. Altschuler. Clustering finite discrete markov chains. In Proceedings of the Joint Statistical Meetings, Section on Physical and Engineering Sciences. ASA Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- P. Sebastiani, M. Ramoni, and P. R. Cohen. Bayesian unsupervised Classification of times series. Technical report, KMI, The Open University, 1999. Available at http://kmi.open.ac.uk/techreports/KMi-TR-76.
- P. Sebastiani, M. Ramoni, and P. R. Cohen. Unsupervised Classification of sensory input in a mobile robot. In Proceedings of the IJCAI Workshop on Neural, Symbolic and Reinforcement Methods for Sequence Learning. 1999. To appear.Google Scholar
- P. Smyth. Clustering sequences with hidden Markov models. In M. C. Mozer, M. I. Jordan, and T. Petsche,editors, Advances in Neural Information Precessing, pages 72–93. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1997.Google Scholar
- P. Smyth. Probabilistic model-based clustering of multivariate and sequential data. In Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence and Statistics 1999, pages 299–304. Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo CA, 1999.Google Scholar
- R. St. Amant and P. R. Cohen. Evaluation of a semi-autonomous assistant for exploratory data analysis. In Proceedings of the First International Conference on Autonomous Agents, pages 355–362, 1997.Google Scholar