On Coherence Properties in Term Rewriting Models of Concurrency
This paper introduces a generic and uniform approach to integrate different design languages for distributed systems in verification tools. It is based on Meseguer’s Rewriting Logic, hence transitions between the states of the respective system are modeled as (conditional) term rewriting steps modulo an equational theory. We argue that, for reasons of efficiency, it is intractable to admit arbitrary equations, and propose to employ rewriting modulo associativity and commutativity instead, using oriented versions of the equations. Furthermore the question is raised under which conditions this implementational restriction is complete. To this aim we define a coherence property which guarantees that every transition which is possible in the (fully equational) semantics can also be computed using the oriented equations, and we show that this property can be verified by testing the joinability of finitely many conditional critical pairs between transition rules and oriented equations.
KeywordsNormal Form Equational Theory Transition Rule Critical Pair Design Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.J. Meseguer. Rewriting logic as a semantic framework for concurrency: a progress report. In Seventh International Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR’96), volume 1119 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 331–372. Springer-Verlag, August 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Milner. Communication and Concurrency. International Series in Computer Science. Prentice-Hall, 1989.Google Scholar
- 13.The Concurrency Workbench of North Carolina. http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/eos/users/r/rance/WWW/cwb-nc.html.
- 14.The Process Algebra Compiler of North Carolina. http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/eos/users/s/stsims/WWW/pac/pac-nc.html.
- 15.Model checking at CMU. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~modelcheck/.
- 17.Truth home page. http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Forschung/MCS/Truth/.
- 18.P. Viry. Rewriting: An eéctive model of concurrency. In Proceedings of PARLE’94-Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe, volume 817 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 648–660. Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 19.P. Viry. Rewriting modulo a rewrite system. Technical Report TR-95-20, Università di Pisa, Dipartimento di Informatica, December 1995.Google Scholar
- 20.P. Viry. A rewriting implementation of pi-calculus. Technical Report TR-96-30, Università di Pisa, Dipartimento di Informatica, March 1996.Google Scholar