Efficient Load-Balancing and Communication Overlap in Parallel Shear-Warp Algorithm on a Cluster of PCs
- First Online:
In the medical field, volume rendering provides good quality 3D visualizations but is still not interactive enough for a day-to-day practice. The most efficient sequential algorithm is the Shear-Warp algorithm. It renders up to 10 images per second for a small dataset. The goal of this paper is to present an efficient parallel implementation of the Shear-Warp algorithm for a distributed memory architecture, a cluster of PCs connected with a high speed network.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AGS95]Minesh B. Amin, Ananth Grama, and Vineet Singh. Fast Volume Rendering Using an Efficient Parallel Formulation of the Shear-Warp Algorithm. In Proceedings 1995 Parallel Rendering Symp., 1995.Google Scholar
- [CDL99]Frdrique Chaussumier, Frdric Desprez, and Michel Loi. Efficient loadbalancing and communication overlap in parallel shear-warp algorithm on a cluster of pcs. Technical Report 99-28, LIP ENS Lyon, May 1999.Google Scholar
- [JS97]Dongming Jiang and Jaswinder Pal Singh. Improving Parallel Shear-Warp Volume Rendering on Shared Adress Space Multiprocessors. In Proc. of the 1997 ACM SIGPLAN Symp. on Princ. and Prac. of Par. Progr., June 1997.Google Scholar
- [Lac95]Philippe Lacroute. Real-Time Volume Rendering on Shared Memory Multiprocessors Using the Shear-Warp Factorization. In Proceedings of the 1995 Parallel Rendering Symposium, 1995.Google Scholar
- [LL94]Philippe Lacroute and Marc Levoy. Fast Volume Rendering Using a Shear-Warp Factorization of the Viewing Transformation. In Computer Graphics, volume 28, pages 451–458. Stanford University, July 1994.Google Scholar
- [MR91]Serge Miguet and Yves Robert. Elastic Load Balancing for Image Processing Algorithms. In H.P. Zima, editor, Par. Comput. 1st Int. ACPC Conf., 1991.Google Scholar
- [Pry98]Loïc Prylli. BIP Messages User Manual for BIP 0.94, June 1998. http://www-bip.univ-lyon1.fr/bip.html.