Performance Evaluation of Parallel GroupBy-Before-Join Query Processing in High Performance Database Systems
Strategic decision making process uses a lot of GroupBy clauses and join operations queries. As the source of information in this type of application to these queries is commonly very huge, then parallelization of GroupBy-Join queries is unavoidable in order to speed up query processing time. In this paper, we investigate three parallelization techniques for GroupBy-Join queries, particularly the queries where the group-by clause can be performed before the join operation. We subsequently call this query “GroupBy-Before-Join” queries. Performance evaluation of the three parallel processing methods is also carried out and presented here.
KeywordsQuery Processing Replication Scheme Partitioning Scheme Aggregate Function Selectivity Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bedell J.A. “Outstanding Challenges in OLAP”, Proceedings of 14th International Conference on Data Engineering, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.Bultzingsloewen G., “Translating and optimizing SQL queries having aggregate”, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.Datta A. and Moon B., “A case for parallelism in data warehousing and OLAP”, Proc. of 9th International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Dayal U., “Of nests and trees: a unified approach to processing queries that contain nested subqueries, aggregates, and quantifiers”, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Brighton, UK, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, W., “On optimizing an SQL-like nested query”, ACM TODS, 7(3), Sept. 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.Ramakrishnan, R., Database Management Systems, McGraw Hill, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Taniar, D., and Rahayu, J.W., “Parallel Processing of Aggregate Queries in a Cluster Architecture”, Proc. of the 7th Australasian Conf. on Parallel and Real-Time Systems PART’2000, Springer-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Yan W.P. and P. Larson, “Performing group-by before join”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering, 1994.Google Scholar