A Case for Message Oriented Middleware
With the emergence of the internet, independent applica- tions are starting to be integrated with each other. This has created a need for technology for glueing together applications both within and across organizations, without having to re-engineer individual compo- nents. We propose an approach for developing this glue technology based on message flows and discuss the open research problems in realizing this approach.
KeywordsInformation Space Multicast Group Object Request Broker Remote Method Invocation Shared Database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASS+99.Marcos Aguilera, Rob Strom, Daniel Sturman, Mark Astley, and Tushar Chandra. Matching events in a content-based subscription system. In Proceedings of the 18th ACM Symposium on the Principles of Distributed Computing, Atlanta, GA, May 1999.Google Scholar
- BCJ+90.K. P. Birman, Robert Cooper, Thomas A. Joseph, Kenneth P. Kane, and Frank Bernhard Schmuck. ISIS–A Distributed Programming Environment, June 1990.Google Scholar
- BCM+99.Guruduth Banavar, Tushar Chandra, Bodhi Mukherjee, Jay Nagarajarao, Rob Strom, and Daniel Sturman. An efficient multicast protocol for content-based publish-subscribe systems. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems 1999, Austin, TX, June 1999.Google Scholar
- BFH97.Ken Birman, Roy Friedman, and Mark Hayden. The maestro group manager: A structuring tool for applications with multiple quality of service requirements. Technical Report TR97-1619, Cornell University, Computer Science, feb 1997.Google Scholar
- BKS+99.Guruduth Banavar, Marc Kaplan, Kelly Shaw, Rob Strom, Daniel Sturman, and Wei Tao. Information flow based event distribution middleware. In Proceedings of the Middleware Workshop at the International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems 1999, Austin, TX, June 1999.Google Scholar
- BN83.A. D. Birrell and B. J. Nelson. Implementing remote procedure calls. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles, page 3, Bretton Woods, NH, October 1983. Association for Computing Machinery, Association for Computing Machinery.Google Scholar
- BT87.K. P. Birman and Joseph A. Thomas. Exploiting virtual synchrony in distributed systems. In Proceedings of the Eleventh ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pages 123–138, November 1987.Google Scholar
- Car98.Antonio Carzaniga. Architectures for an Event Notification Service Scalable to Wide-area Networks. PhD thesis, Politecnico di Milano, December 1998. Available from http://www.cs.colorado.edu/carzanig/papers/.
- GKP99.R. Gruber, B Krishnamurthy, and E. Panagos. An architecture of the ready event notification system. In Proceedings of the Middleware Workshop at the International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems 1999, Austin, TX, June 1999.Google Scholar
- GL94.P. Gupta and E. Lin. Datajoiner: A practical approach to multi-database access. In Parallel and Distributed Information Systems (PDIS’ 94), pages 264–264, Los Alamitos, Ca., USA, September 1994. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- Gro98.Object Management Group. Corba services: Common object service specification. Technical report, Object Management Group, July 1998.Google Scholar
- HCKW90.Eric N. Hanson, Moez Chaabouni, Chang-Ho Kim, and Yu-Wang Wang. A predicate matching algorithm for database rule systems. In SIGMOD 1990, Atlantic City N. J., pages 271–280, May 1990.Google Scholar
- KK90.Magdi N. Kamel and Nabil N. Kamel. The federated database management system: an architecture of distributed systems for the 90’s. In Proceedings, Second IEEE Workshop on Future Trends of Distributed Computing Systems, pages 346–352, 1990.Google Scholar
- Lut94.R. Lutz. IBM flowmark workflow manager–concept and overview. In G. Chroust and A. Benczur, editors, Connectivity’ 94–Workflow Management–Challenges, Paradigms and Products, pages 65–68, Linz, Austria, October 1994. R. Oldenbourg, Vienna, Munich.Google Scholar
- Pow96.David Powell. Group communication. Communications of the ACM, 39(4), April 1996. This is a collection of several papers in the area, Powell is guest editor.Google Scholar
- PPHC98.S. Paul, E. Park, D. Hutches, and J. Chaar. RainMaker:Workflow execution using distributed, interoperable components. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1513:801-??, 1998.Google Scholar
- SA97.Bill Segall and David Arnold. Elvin has left the building: A publish/subscribe notification service with quenching. In Proceedings, AAUG97, September 1997.Google Scholar
- SV97.D. C. Schmidt and S. Vinoski. The OMG Events Service. C++ Report, 9(2):37–46, February 1997.Google Scholar
- TGGL82.I. L. Traiger, J. N. Gray, C. A. Galtieri, and B. G. Lindsay. Transactions and consistency in distributed database management systems. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, pages 323–342, Sept 1982.Google Scholar
- WfM.Workflow management coalition. http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/WfMC.
- WIS.Workshop on internet scale event notification. See http://www.ics.uci.edu/IRUS/wisen/wisen98 for details.