Performance Issues of Distributed MPI Applications in a German Gigabit Testbed
The Gigabit Testbed West is a testbed for the planned upgrade of the German Scientic Network B-WiN. It is based on a 2.4 Gigabit/second ATM connection between the Research Centre Jülich and the GMD - National Research Center for Information Technology in Sankt Augustin. This contribution reports on those activities in the testbed that are related to metacomputing. It starts with a discussion of the IP connectivity of the supercomputers in the testbed. The achieved performance is compared with MetaMPI, an MPI library that is tuned for the use in metacomputing environments with high-speed networks. Applications using this library are briefly described.
KeywordsMusic Algorithm Fore System Message Passing Interface Forum Metacomputing Environment Multiscale Molecular Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Foster and C. Kesselman, The Globus Project: A Status Report. Proc. IPPS/SPDP’ 98 Heterogeneous Computing Workshop, pp 4–18, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.H.E. Bal, A. Plaat, T. Kielmann, J. Maassen, R. van Nieuwpoort, and R. Veldema, Parallel Computing on Wide-Area Clusters: the Albatros Project, Proc. Extreme Linux Workshop, pp. 20–24, Monterey, CA, June 8–10, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Gabriel, M. Resch, T. Beisel, R. Keller, Distributed computing in a heterogeneous computing environment, in V. Alexandrov and J. Dongarra (eds.) Recent Advances in PVM and MPI, pp 180–197, Springer 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Grund, F. Hommes, R. Niederberger, and E. Pless, High Speed Supercomputer Communications in Broadband Networks, TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference, Sweden, June 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Message Passing Interface Forum, MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard, University of Tennessee, http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/index.html, 1995.
- 6.Message Passing Interface Forum, MPI-2: Extensions to the Message-Passing Interface, University of Tennessee, http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/index.html, 1997.
- 7.J. Worringen, M. Pöoppe, T. Bemmerl, J. Henrichs, T. Eickermann, and H. Grund, MetaMPI-an extension of MPICH for Metacomputing Environments, submitted to ParCo99, Delft, August 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.G.D. Burns, R.B. Daoud, and J.R. Vaigl, LAM: An Open Cluster Environment for MPI, Supercomputing Symposium’ 94, Toronto, Canada, June 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Eickermann, W. Frings, S. Posse, and R. Völpel, Distributed Applications in a German Gigabit WAN, accepted for High Performance Distributed Computing, Los Angeles, August 1999.Google Scholar