Resistance Against Differential Power Analysis For Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems
Differential Power Analysis, first introduced by Kocher et al. in , is a powerful technique allowing to recover secret smart card information by monitoring power signals. In  a specific DPA attack against smart-cards running the DES algorithm was described. As few as 1000 encryptions were sufficient to recover the secret key. In this paper we generalize DPA attack to elliptic curve (EC) cryptosystems and describe a DPA on EC Diffie-Hellman key exchange and EC El-Gamal type encryption. Those attacks enable to recover the private key stored inside the smart-card. Moreover, we suggest countermeasures that thwart our attack.
KeywordsElliptic curve power consumption Differential Power Analysis
- 1.E. Biham, A. Shamir. Power analysis of the key scheduling of the AES candidates, Proceedings of the second AES Candidate Conference, March 1999, pp. 115–121.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Chari, C. Jutla, J.R. Rao, P. Rohatgi. A cautionary note regarding evaluation of AES candidates on smart-cards, Proceedings of the second AES Candidate Conference, March 1999, pp. 133–147.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Daemen, V. Rijmen. Resistance against implementation attacks A comparative study of the AES proposals, Proceedings of the second AES Candidate Conference, March 1999, pp. 122–132.Google Scholar
- 6.FIPS 46, Data encryption standard, Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 46, U.S. Department of Commerce/National Bureau of Standards, National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Virginia, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.IEEE P1363/D7. Standard Specifications for Public Key Cryptography. September 11, 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.D.E. Knuth, Seminumerical Algorithms, The Art of Computer Programming,2 Addison Wesley, 1969.Google Scholar
- 13.Paul Kocher. Timing attacks on implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA, DSS and other systems, Advances in Cryptology, Proceedings of Crypto’96, LNCS 1109, N. Koblitz, Ed., Springer-Verlag, 1996, pp. 104–113.Google Scholar
- 14.Paul Kocher, Joshua Jaffe, and Benjamin Jun, Introduction to Differential Power Analysis and Related Attacks, http://www.cryptography.com/dpa/technical, 1998.
- 16.A. J. Menezes, “Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptosystems”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993.Google Scholar
- 17.V.S. Miller. Use of Elliptic Curves in Cryptography, Proceedings of Crypto 85, LNCS 218, Springer, 1986, pp. 417–426.Google Scholar