Programmed Mutagenesis Is a Universal Model of Computation
- First Online:
Programmed mutagenesis is a DNA computing system that uses cycles of DNA annealing, ligation, and polymerization to implement programatic rewriting of DNA sequences. We report that programmed mutagenesis is theoretically universal by showing how Minsky’s 4-symbol 7-state Universal Turing Machine  can be implemented using a programmed mutagenesis system. Each step of the Universal Turing Machine is implemented by four cycles of programmed mutagenesis, and progress is guaranteed by the use of alternate sense strands for each rewriting cycle. The full version of the proof will appear in the special issue of TOCS.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beaver, D., 1995, Molecular Computing, Department of Computer Science and Engineering Technical Report, Penn State University.Google Scholar
- 3.Ausubel, I., Frederick, M. (eds.), 1997 Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, Section 8.5 (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.)Google Scholar
- 4.Hagiya, M., Arita,, M., Kiga, D., Sakomoto, K., and Yokoyama, S., 1999, Towards parallel evaluation and learning of Boolean mu-formulas with molecules, DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, 48, 57–72.Google Scholar
- 7.Khodor, J., Gifford, D. K., 1997 Design and Implementation of Computational Systems Based on Programmed Mutagenesis, Proceedings of 3rd DIMACS workshop on DNA-based computers.Google Scholar
- 8.Komiya, K., Sakamoto, K., Gouzu, H., Yokoyama, S., Arita, M., Nishilkawa, A., and Hagiya, M., 2000, Successive state transitions with IO interface by molecules, Proceedings of 6th DIMACS workshop on DNA-based computers.Google Scholar
- 11.Minsky, M.L., 1967, Computation: Finite and Infinite Machines (Prentice-Hall, Inc.).Google Scholar
- 12.Paun, Gh., Rozenberg, G., Salomaa, A., 1998, DNA Computing (Springer-Verlag).Google Scholar
- 16.Winfree, E., 1995, On the computational power of DNA annealing and ligation, DNA Based Computers: DIMACS Workshop, 27, 199–221.Google Scholar