Quality Attribute Design Primitives and the Attribute Driven Design Method
This paper discusses the understanding of quality attributes and their application to the design of a software architecture. We present an approach to characterizing quality attributes and capturing architectural patterns that are used to achieve these attributes. For each pattern, it is important not only how the pattern achieves a quality attribute goal but also what impact the pattern has on other attributes. We embody this investigation of quality into the Attribute Driven Design Method for designing software architecture.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Quality Attribute Functional Requirement Software Architecture Design Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bachmann, F.; Bass, L.; Chastek, G.; Donohoe, P.& Peruzzi, F. The Architecture Based Design Method. CMU/SEI-2000-TR-001 ADA375851. Pittsburgh, PA: Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Bass, L.; Clements, P & Kazman, R. Software Architecture in Practice. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley Longman, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Bass, L., Klein, M., Bachmann, F. Quality Attribute Design Primitives CMU/SEI-2000-TN-017Google Scholar
- 4.Bass, L, Klein, M., Moreno, G., Applicability of General Scenarios to the Architecture Tradeoff Analysis Method, CMU/SEI-2001-TR-014Google Scholar
- 5.Booch, G. Object Solutions: Managing the Object-Oriented Project. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley Longman, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.Bosch, J. Design & Use of Software Architectures, Addison Wesley, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.Chung, L., Nixon, B., Yu, E. and Mylopoulos, J. Non-Functional Requirements in Software Engineering. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Ma.Google Scholar
- 8.Gamma, E.; Helm, R.; Johnson, R. & Vlissides, J. Design Patterns. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley Longman, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.Hofmeister, C., Nord, R., Soni, D. Applied Software Architecture, Addison Wesley, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Klein, M.; Kazman, R., Bass, L,; Carriere S.J.; Barbacci, M. & Lipson, H. ‘Attribute-Based Architectural Styles,” 225–243. Proceedings of the First Working IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA1)). San Antonio, TX: February 1999.Google Scholar