Graph Embedding with Topological Cycle-Constraints
This paper concerns graph embedding under topological constraints. We address the problem of finding a planar embedding of a graph satisfying a set of constraints between its vertices and cycles that require embedding a given vertex inside its corresponding cycle. This problem turns out to be NP-complete. However, towards an analysis of its tractable subproblems, we develop an efficient algorithm for the special case where graphs are 2-connected and any two distinct cycles in the constraints have at most one vertex in common.
- 1.J. A. Bondy, U.S.R. Murty: Graph Theory with Applications, MacMillan, 1976Google Scholar
- 2.G. Demoucron, Y. Malgrange, R. Pertuiset: Graphes planaires: reconnaissance et construction de représentations planaires topologiques, Revue Française de Recherche Opérationelle, 8: 33–47, 1964Google Scholar
- 3.R. Diestel: Graph Theory, Springer, 1997Google Scholar
- 4.M. R. Garey, D. S. Johnson: Computers and Intractability-A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, Freeman, 1979Google Scholar
- 5.W. He, K. Marriott: Constrained graph layout, in S. North (ed.), Graph Drawing, Proceedings of GD’96, LNCS 1190, 217–232, 1997Google Scholar