Convexifying Monotone Polygons
This paper considers reconfigurations of polygons, where each polygon edge is a rigid link, no two of which can cross during the motion. We prove that one can reconfigure any monotone polygon into a convex polygon; a polygon is monotone if any vertical line intersects the interior at a (possibly empty) interval. Our algorithm computes in O(n 2) time a sequence of O(n 2) moves, each of which rotates just four joints at once.
KeywordsJoint Angle Convex Polygon Vertical Edge Link Length Virtual Link
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Biedl, E. Demaine, M. Demaine, S. Lazard, A. Lubiw, J. O’Rourke, M. Overmars, S. Robbins, I. Streinu, G. Toussaint, and S. Whitesides. Locked and unlocked polygonal chains in 3D. Manuscript in preparation, 1999. A preliminary version appeared in Proc. 10th ACM-SIAM Sympos. Discrete Algorithms, 1999, 866–867.Google Scholar
- 2.Therese Biedl, Erik Demaine, Martin Demaine, Sylvain Lazard, Anna Lubiw, Joseph O’Rourke, Steve Robbins, Ileana Streinu, Godfried Toussaint, and Sue Whitesides. On reconfiguring tree linkages: Trees can lock. In Proc. 10th Canadian Conf. Comput. Geom., Montréal, Aug. 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Prosenjit Bose, William Lenhart, and Giuseppe Liotta. Personal comm., 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.Roxana Cocan and Joseph O’Rourke. Polygonal chains cannot lock in 4D. In Proc. 11th Canadian Conf. Comput. Geom., Vancouver, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Everett, S. Lazard, S. Robbins, H. Schröder, and S. Whitesides. Convexifying star-shaped polygons. In Proc. 10th Canadian Conf. Comput. Geom., Montr_eal, Aug. 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Joseph O’Rourke. Folding and unfolding in computational geometry. In Proc. Japan Conf. Discrete and Computational Geometry, Tokyo, Dec. 1998. To appear.Google Scholar
- 8.Godfried Toussaint. The Erdos-Nagy theorem and its ramifications. In Proc. 11th Canadian Conf. Comput. Geom., Vancouver, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Sue Whitesides. Algorithmic issues in the geometry of planar linkage movement. Australian Computer Journal, 24(2):42–50, May 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.Sue Whitesides. Personal communication, Oct. 1998.Google Scholar