Nonlinear Fiber Optics
Nonlinear fiber optics concerns with the nonlinear optical phenomena occurring inside optical fibers. Although the field ofnonlinear optics traces its beginning to 1961, when a ruby laser was first used to generate the second-harmonic radiation inside a crystal , the use ofoptical fibers as a nonlinear medium became feasible only after 1970 when fiber losses were reduced to below 20 dB/km . Stimulated Raman and Brillouin scatterings in single-mode fibers were studied as early as 1972  and were soon followed by the study of other nonlinear effects such as self- and crossphase modulation and four-wave mixing . By 1989, the field ofnonlinear fiber optics has advanced enough that a whole book was devoted to it . This book or its second edition has been translated into Chinese, Japanese, and Russian languages, attesting to the worldwide activity in the field of nonlinear fiber optics.
KeywordsDark Soliton Optical Soliton Bright Soliton Nonlinear Phase Shift Nonlinear Fiber Optic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. P. Kapron, D. B. Keck, and R. D. Maurer, Appl. Phys. Lett. 17, 423 (1970).Google Scholar
- R. H. Stolen, E. P. Ippen, and A. R. Tynes, Appl. Phys. Lett. 20, 62 (1972); E. P. Ippen and R. H. Stolen, Appl. Phys. Lett. 21, 539 (1972).Google Scholar
- G. P. Agrawal, Nonlinear Fiber Optics(Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1989); 2nd ed., 1995; Chinese translation, 1992; Russian translation, 1996; Japanese translation, 1997.Google Scholar
- G. P. Agrawal, Fiber-Optic Communication Systems, 2nd ed. (Wiley, New York, 1997).Google Scholar
- G. P. Agrawal, in Properties of Glass and Rare-Earth Doped Glasses for Optical Fibers, D. Hewak, Ed. (IEE, Stevenage, U.K., 1998).Google Scholar
- R. K. Dodd, J. C. Eilbeck, J. D. Gibbon, and H. C. Morris, Solitons and Nonlinear Wave Equations (Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1984).Google Scholar
- T. Georges, F. Favre, and D. L. Guen, IEICE Tran. Electron. E81-C, 226 (1998).Google Scholar
- M. N. Islam, E. R. Sunderman, R. H. Stolen, W. Pleibel, and J. R. Simpson, Opt. Lett. 14, 811 (1989).Google Scholar
- G. I. Stegeman and A. Miller, in Photonics in Switching, Vol. 1, J. E. Midwinter, Ed. (Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1993)Google Scholar
- N. N. Akhmediev and A. Ankiewicz, Solitons: Nonlinear Pulses and Beams (Chapman and Hall, New York, 1997).Google Scholar
- M. N. Islam, Ultrafast Fiber Switching Devices and Systems (Cambridge University Press, New York, 1992).Google Scholar