How to Incorporate Negation in a Prolog Compiler?
Knowledge representation based applications require a more complete set of capabilities than those offered by conventional Prolog compilers. Negation is, probably, the most important one. The inclusion of negation among the logical facilities of LP has been a very active area of research, and several techniques have been proposed. However, the negation capabilities accepted by current Prolog compilers are very limited. In this paper, we discuss the possibility to incorporate some of these techniques in a Prolog compiler in an efficient way. Our idea is to mix some of the existing proposals guided by the information provided by a global analysis of the source code.
KeywordsSemantics of Negation Global Analysis Implementation of Negation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. R. Apt. Logic programming. In J. van Leeuwen, editor, Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, volume 3, pages 493–574, Elsevier, New York, 1990.Google Scholar
- R. Barbuti, D. Mancarella, D. Pedreschi, and F. Turini. Intensional negation of logic programs. Lecture notes on Computer Science, 250:96–110, 1987.Google Scholar
- C. Braem, B. Le Charlier, S. Modart, and P. Van Hentenryck. Cardinality analysis of Prolog. In I. S. on Logic Programming, pages 457–471. The MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- P. Bruscoli, F. Levi, G. Levi, and M.C. Meo. Compilative Constructive Negation in Constraint Logic Programs. In Sophie Tyson, editor, Proc. of the Nineteenth International Colloquium on Trees in Algebra and Programming, CAAP’ 94, volume 787 of LNCS, pages 52–67, Berlin, 1994. Springer-Verlag.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M. Carlsson. Freeze, indexing, and other implementation issues in the wam. In I. Conference on Logic Programming, pages 40–58. The MIT Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- D. Chan. Constructive negation based on the complete database. In Proc. Int. Conference on Logic Programming’88, pages 111–125. The MIT Press, 1988.Google Scholar
- D. Chan. An extension of constructive negation and its application in coroutining. In Proc. NACLP’89, pages 477–493. The MIT Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- K. L. Clark. Negation as failure. In J. Minker H. Gallaire, editor, Logic and Data Bases, pages 293–322, New York, NY, 1978.Google Scholar
- M. García de la Banda, K. Marriott, and P. Stuckey. Efficient analysis of constraint logic programs with dynamic scheduling. In 1995 International Logic Programming Symposium, pages 417–431. The MIT Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- M. Hermenegildo, F. Bueno, D. Cabeza, M. García de la Banda, P. López, and G. Puebla. The CIAO Multi-Dialect Compiler and System: An Experimentation Workbench for Future (C)LP Systems. In Parallelism and Implementation of Logic and Constraint Logic Programming. Nova Science, Commack, NY, USA, April 1999.Google Scholar
- P.M. Hill and J.W. Lloyd. The Gödel Programming Language. The MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- J. W. Lloyd. Foundations of Logic Programing, 2nd edition. Springer, 1987.Google Scholar
- P. López-García, M. Hermenegildo, S. Debray, and N. W. Lin. Lower bound cost estimation for logic programs. In 1997 International Logic Programming Symposium. MIT Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- J.J. Moreno-Navarro. Default rules: An extension of constructive negation for narrowing-based languages. In Proc. ICLP’94, pages 535–549. The MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- S. Munoz. Algunas técnicas para el tratamiento de información negativa en Prolog. Master’s thesis, Facultad de Informática, UPM, 1997.Google Scholar
- L. Naish. Negation and quantifiers in NU-Prolog. In Proc. 3rd ICLP, 1986.Google Scholar
- G. Puebla, M. García de la Banda, K. Marriott, and P. Stuckey. Optimization of Logic Programs with Dynamic Scheduling. In 1997 International Conference on Logic Programming, pages 93–107, Cambridge, MA, June 1997. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- P. Stuckey. Constructive negation for constraint logic programming. In Proc. IEEE Symp. on Logic in Computer Science, volume 660. IEEE Comp. Soc. Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Voronkov. Logic programming with bounded quantifiers. In A. Voronkov, editor, First Russian Conference on Logic Programming, volume 592, pages 486–514, Irkutsk, Rusia, September 1990. Springer 1992.Google Scholar