Estimating Costs of Path Expression Evaluation in Distributed Object Databases
Efficient evaluation of path expressions in distributed object databases involves choosing among several query processing strategies, due to the rich semantics involved in object-based data models and to the complexity added by the distribution. This work presents a new cost model for object-based query processors and addresses relevant issues, which are ignored or relaxed in other works in the literature, such as the selectivity of the path expression, the sharing degree of the referenced objects, the partial participation of the collections in the relationships, and the distribution of the database objects across the nodes of a network. These issues allowed us to present more realistic estimates for the query optimizer. Our cost model has been validated against experimental results obtained with an object DBMS prototype running in a distributed architecture, using the OO7 benchmark application.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bellatreche, L., Karlapalem, K., Basak, G.: Query-Driven Horizontal Class Partitioning for Object-Oriented Databases. DEXA 1998, 692–701Google Scholar
- 2.Bellatreche, L., Karlapalem, K., Li, Q.: Derived Horizontal Class Partitioning in OODBs: Design Strategies, Analytical Model and Evaluation. ER 1998, 465–479Google Scholar
- 3.Bertino, E., Foscoli, P.: On Modeling Cost Functions for Object-Oriented Databases. IEEE TKDE 9(3), 500–508 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Deutsch, A., Fernandez, M., et al.: Querying XML Data. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin 22(3), 10–18 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Ezeife, C., Zheng, J.: Measuring the Performance of Database Object Horizontal Fragmentation Schemes. IDEAS 1999, 408–414Google Scholar
- 8.Fung, C. Karlapalem, K., Li, Q.: Cost-driven evaluation of vertical class partitioning in object oriented databases. DASFAA 1997, 11–20Google Scholar
- 9.Gardarin, G., Gruser, J., Tang, Z.: A Cost Model for Clustered Object-Oriented Databases. VLDB 1995, 323–334Google Scholar
- 10.Gardarin, G., Gruser, J., Tang, Z.: Cost-based Selection of Path Expression Processing Algorithms in Object-Oriented Databases. VLDB 1996, 390–401Google Scholar
- 13.Ozkan, C., Dogac, A., Altinel, M.: A Cost Model for Path Expressions in Object Oriented Queries. Journal of Database Management 7(3), 25–33 (1996)Google Scholar
- 14.Ruberg, G.: A Cost Model for Query Processing in Distributed-Object Databases, M.Sc. Thesis in Portuguese, COPPE/UFRJ, Brazil (2001). Reduced version in English available in http://www.cos.ufrj.br/~gruberg/ruberg2001_english.pdf
- 15.Tavares, F.O., Victor, A.O., Mattoso, M.: Parallel Processing Evaluation of Path Expressions. SBBD 2000, 49–63Google Scholar