GeoCosm: A Semantics-Based Approach for Information Integration of Geospatial Data
Information integration implies access to distributed information sources without interfering with the autonomy of the underlying data sources. Integration of distributed geospatial data requires a mechanism for selecting the data sources and performing data processing operations on the selected sources efficiently. We describe a semantics-based information integration approach that uses a spatio-temporal semantic model to define the geospatial information content of the sources, employs a conflict resolution ontology to resolve semantic heterogeneity, and uses geospatial metadata to help the users evaluate usefulness of the available data sources. We show how the captured metadata can be used for efficient query planning. Based on our proposed approach, we are developing GeoCosm, a web-based prototype that would help integrate autonomous distributed heterogeneous geospatial data.
KeywordsInformation Integration Snow Water Equivalent Geospatial Data Plan Execution Query Plan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. L. Ambite and C. A. Knoblock, “Flexible and Scalable Query Planning in Distributed and Heterogeneous Environments,” in Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Planning Systems, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, USA, pp. 3–10, 1998.Google Scholar
- R. J. Bayardo, B. Bohrer, R. S. Brice, A. Cichocki, J. Fowler, A. Helal, V. Kashyap, T. Ksiezyk, G. Martin, M. H. Nodine, M. Rashid, M. Rusinkiewicz, R. Shea, C. Unnikrishnan, A. Unruh, and D. Woelk, “The InfoSleuth Project,” SIGMOD Conference, 543–545, 1997.Google Scholar
- K. R. Bradbury, V. R. Baker, A. P. Barros, M. E. Campana, K. A. Gray, C. T. Haan, D. H. Moreau, C. L. Paulson, S. S. Schwartz, L. Shabman, K. D. Thompson, and D. A. Woolhiser, Hydrologic Hazards Science at the US, Geological Survey Commission on Geosciences, Environment and Resources: National Research Council, National Academy Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- FGDC, “Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata,”, vol. 2001, FGDC-STD-001-1998 ed National Spatial Data Infrastructure, http://www.fgdc.gov/standards/documents/standards/metadata/v2_0698.pdf, 1998.
- M. R. Genesereth, A. M. Keller, and O. M. Duschka, “Infomaster: An Information Integration System,” in The ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, Tucson, AZ, pp. 1997.Google Scholar
- V. Khatri, S. Ram, and R. T. Snodgrass, “ST-USM: Bridging the Semantic Gap with a Spatio-temporal Conceptual Model,” Time Center Technical Report TR-64 2001.Google Scholar
- V. Khatri, S. Ram, and R. T. Snodgrass, “Supporting User-defined Granularities and Indeterminacy in a Spatiotemporal Conceptual Model,” Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence (Also available as Time Center Technical Report TR-55), 36 pages, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- H. Kitajima, R. Masuoka, and F. Maruyama, “Integrating Information and Knowledge with Software Agents,” Fujitsu Science Technology, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 162–174, 2000.Google Scholar
- C. A. Knoblock, S. Minton, J. L. Ambte, N. Ashish, I. Muslea, A. G. Philpot, and S. Tejada, “The Ariadne Approach to Web-based Information Integration,” International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, Vol. forthcoming, 1–26, 2001.Google Scholar
- N. F. Noy and C. D. Hafner, “The State of the Art in Ontology Design: A Survey and Comparative Review,” AI Magazine, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 53–74, 1997.Google Scholar
- OGIS, “OpenGIS Simple Feature Specification for SQL,” Open GIS Consortium, Inc. 99-049, May 5 1999.Google Scholar
- S. Ram, V. Khatri, Y. Hwang, and S. R. Yool, “Semantic modeling and decision support in hydrology,” Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Vol. 66, No. 10, pp. 1229–1239, 2000.Google Scholar
- S. Ram, D. D. Zeng, V. Khatri, and L. Zhang, “Efficient and Scalable Query Planning in Distributed Open Environments,” in 11th Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems, New Orleans, Louisiana, pp. 2001.Google Scholar
- P. Rigaux, M. O. Scholl, and A. Voisard, Spatial Databases: With Application to GIS: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2001.Google Scholar
- V. S. Subrahmanian, S. Adali, A. Brink, R. Emery, J. J. Lu, A. Rajput, T. J. Rogers, R. Ross, and C. Ward, “HERMES: Heterogeneous Reasoning and Mediator System,”, vol. 2000 University of Maryland, http://www.cs.umd.edu//projects/hermes/publications/abstracts/hermes.html, 1997.
- K. Sycara and D. Zeng, “Coordination of Multiple Intelligent Software Agents,” International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, Vol. 5, No. 2–3, pp. 1–15, 1996.Google Scholar