Constraint Programming Contribution to Benders Decomposition: A Case Study
The aim of this paper is to demonstrate that CP could be a better candidate than MIP for solving the master problem within a Benders decomposition approach. Our demonstration is based on a case study of a workforce scheduling problem encountered in a large call center of Bouygues Telecom, a French mobile phone operator. Our experiments show that CP can advantageously replace MIP for the implementation of the master problem due to its greater ability to efficiently manage a wide variety of constraints such as the ones occurring in time tabling applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. Kagan and R. N. Adams. A Benders’ Decomposition Approach To The Multi-Objective Distribution Planning Problem. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 15(5):259–271,1993.Google Scholar
- J.N. Hooker and G. Ottosson. Logic-based Benders decomposition. Mathematical Programming, to appear in November 2001.Google Scholar
- A. Eremin and M. Wallace. Hybrid Benders decomposition algorithms in constraint logic programming. CP 2001, LNCS, 2239:1–15, 2001.Google Scholar
- E. S. Thornsteinsson. Branch-and-Check: a Hybrid Framework Integrating Mixed Integer Programming and Constraint Logic Programming. In Proceedings of CP-01, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2239:16–30. Springer-Verlag, November 2001.Google Scholar
- C. Berge and A. Ghouila-Houri. Programming, Games and Transportation Networks. Wiley, New York, 1962.Google Scholar
- XPRESS-MP. http://www.dash.co.uk, 2002.
- F. Laburthe and the OCRE project team. CHOCO: Implementing a CP kernel. CP 2000 Workshop Program, 2000.Google Scholar
- Y. Caseau, F.-X. Josset, F. Laburthe. Claire: Combining Sets, Search and Rules to Better Express Algorithms. Proceeding of ICLP’99, MIT Press, New Mexico, 1999.Google Scholar
- A. Bockmayr, N. Pisaruk and A. Aggoun. Network Flow Problems in Constraint Programming. CP 2001, LNCS, 2239:196–210, 2001.Google Scholar
- R.K. Ahuja, T.L. Magnanti and J.B. Orlin. Network Flows: theory, algorithms and applications. Prentice Hall, 1993.Google Scholar
- P. Van Hentenryck. Constraint Satisfaction in Logic Programming. The MIT Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- A.V. Goldberg and R.E. Tarjan. A new approach to the maximum flow problem. Proceedings of the 18 th ACMsymposium on Theory of Computing, 1986.Google Scholar