Groups and Constraints: Symmetry Breaking during Search
We present an interface between the ECLiPSe constraint logic programming system and the GAP computational abstract algebra system. The interface provides a method for efficiently dealing with large numbers of symmetries of constraint satisfaction problems for minimal programming effort. We also report an implementation of SBDS using the GAP-ECLiPSe interface which is capable of handling many more symmetries than previous implementations and provides improved search performance for symmetric constraint satisfaction problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Backofen and S. Will, Excluding symmetries in constraint-based search, Proceedings, CP-99, Springer, 1999, LNCS 1713, pp. 73–87.Google Scholar
- J. C. Beck, P. Prosser, and E. Selensky, On the reformulation of vehicle routing problems and scheduling problems, Tech. Report APES-44-2002, APES Research Group, February 2002.Google Scholar
- C.A. Brown, L. Finkelstein, and P. W. Purdom, Jr., Backtrack searching in the presence of symmetry, Proc. AAECC-6 (T. Mora, ed.), no. 357, Springer-Verlag, 1988, pp. 99–110.Google Scholar
- M. Calder and A. Miller, Five ways to use induction and symmetry in the verification of networks of processes by model-checking, Proc. AVoCS, 2002, pp. 29–42.Google Scholar
- J. Crawford, M. Ginsberg, E. Luks, and A. Roy, Symmetry breaking predicates for search problems, Proc. KR 96, Morgan Kaufmann, 1996, pp. 148–159.Google Scholar
- T. Fahle, S. Schamberger, and M. Sellmann, Symmetry breaking, Proc. CP 2001 (T. Walsh, ed.), 2001, pp. 93–107.Google Scholar
- P. Flener, A. M. Frisch, B. Hnich, Z. Kiziltan, I. Miguel, J. Pearson, and T. Walsh, Symmetry in matrix models, Tech. Report APES-30-2001, APES Research Group, October 2001.Google Scholar
- F. Focacci and M. Milano, Global cut framework for removing symmetries, Proc. CP 2001 (T. Walsh, ed.), 2001, pp. 77–92.Google Scholar
- The GAP Group, GAP-Groups, Algorithms, and Programming, Version 4.2, 2000, http://www.gap-system.org.
- I.P. Gent, S.A. Linton, and B.M. Smith, Symmetry breaking in the alien tiles puzzle, Tech. Report APES-22-2000, APES Research Group, October 2000.Google Scholar
- I. P. Gent and B. M. Smith, Symmetry breaking in constraint programming, Proceedings of ECAI-2000 (W. Horn, ed.), IOS Press, 2000, pp. 599–603.Google Scholar
- I. McDonald, Unique symmetry breaking in CSPs using group theory, Proc. Sym-Con’01 (P. Flener and J. Pearson, eds.), 2001, pp. 75–78.Google Scholar
- M. G. Wallace, S. Novello, and J. Schimpf, ECLiPSe: A platform for constraint logic programming, ICL Systems Journal 12 (1997), no. 1, 159–200.Google Scholar