Learning and Solving Soft Temporal Constraints: An Experimental Study
Soft temporal constraints problems allow for a natural description of scenarios where events happen over time and preferences are associated with event distances and durations. However, sometimes such local preferences are difficult to set, and it may be easier instead to associate preferences to some complete solutions of the problem, and then to learn from them suitable preferences over distances and durations.
In this paper, we describe our learning algorithm and we show its behaviour on classes of randomly generated problems. Moreover, we also describe two solvers (one more general and the other one more efficient) for tractable subclasses of soft temporal problems, and we give experimental results to compare them.
KeywordsPreference Function Local Preference Constraint Satisfaction Problem Temporal Constraint Soft Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Biso, F. Rossi, and A. Sperduti. Experimental Results on Learning Soft Constraints. Proc. KR 2000, Morgan Kaufmann, 2000.Google Scholar
- Abstracting Soft Constraints. S. Bistarelli, P. Codognet, Y. Georget, F. Rossi. Proc. ERCIM/Compulog Net work. on constraints, Springer, LNAI 1865, 2000.Google Scholar
- S. Bistarelli, U. Montanari, and F. Rossi. Semiring-based Constraint Solving and Optimization. Journal of the A CM, 44(2):201–236, March 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Giacomin. From Crisp to Fuzzy Constraints Networks. Proc. CP’ 01 Workshop on Modelling and Solving Problems with Soft Constraints, 2001.Google Scholar
- S. Haykin. Neural Networks: a comprehensive Foundation. IEEE Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- L. Khatib, P. Morris, R. Morris, F. Rossi. Temporal Constraint Reasoning With Preferences. Proc. IJCAI 2001.Google Scholar
- L. Khatib, P. Morris, R. Morris, F. Rossi, A. Sperduti. Learning Preferences on Temporal Constraints: A Preliminary Report. Proc. TIME 2001, IEEE Comp. Soc. Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- F. Rossi and A. Sperduti. Learning solution preferences in constraint problems. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Computer Science, 1998. Vol 10.Google Scholar
- T. Schiex. Possibilistic constraint satisfaction problems, or “how to handle soft constraints?”. Proc. 8th Conf. of Uncertainty in AI, pages 269–275, 1992.Google Scholar
- E. Schwalb, R. Dechter. Coping with disjunctions in temporal constraint satisfaction problems. Proc. AAAI-93, 1993.Google Scholar
- S. Russell and P. Norvig. Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Prentice Hall, 1995.Google Scholar
- L. Vila, L. Godo. On fuzzy temporal constraint networks. Mathware and Soft Computing, 3:315–334, 1994.Google Scholar