Collaborative Learning in a Web-Accessible Workbench
Web-based course management and delivery is regarded by many institutions as a key factor in an increasingly competitive education and training world, but the systems currently available are largely unsatisfactory in terms of supporting collaborative work and access to practical science facilities. These limitations are less important in areas where “pen-and-paper” courseware is the mainstream, but become unacceptably restrictive when student assignments require real-time teamwork and access to laboratory equipment. This paper presents a web-accessible workbench for electronics design and test, which was developed in the scope of an European IST project entitled PEARL, with the aim of supporting two main features: full web access and collaborative learning facilities.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Landon, On-Line Educational Delivery Applications: A Web Tool for Comparative Analysis (http://www.ctt.bc.ca/landonline/).
- 2.Richards, P.: MIT to make nearly all course materials available free on the World Wide Web (http://www.web.mit.edu/newsoffice/nr/2001/ocw.html) (April 4, 2000)
- 3.Cooper M., Scanlon E., Freake, S.: Remote Controlled Teaching Experiments, in Science and Engineering Subjects, Accessible over the World-Wide-Web: the PEARL project, World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (EdMedia), Montreal, Canada (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Cooper M., Santacruz Valencia, L.: User interface approaches for accessibility in complex WWW applications-Examples from the PEARL project, Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe Seminar (AAATE), Hatfield, UK (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Fidalgo, A., Costa, R., Martins Ferreira, J. M., Alves, G.: Experimenting the 1149.1 and 1149.4 test infrastructures in a Web-accessible remote Lab (without Plug-ins!), XVI Conference on Design of Circuits and Integrated Systems (DCIS’01), Porto, Portugal (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Test Technology Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Standard Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture, IEEE Std 1149.1-1990 (includes IEEE Std 1149.1a-1993), ISBN 1-55937-350-4 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Test Technology Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Standard for a Mixed Signal Test Bus, IEEE Std 1149.4-1999, ISBN 0-7381-1755-2 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Martins Ferreira, J. M., Costa, R., Alves, G., Cooper, M.: The PEARL Digital Electronics Lab: Full Access to the Workbench via the Web, 13th EAEEIE Annual Conference on Innovations in Education (European Association for Education in Electrical and Information Engineering), York, UK (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Joolingen, W.R. van: Cognitive tools for discovery learning. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 10, pp. 385–397 (1999)Google Scholar