A Component-Based Architecture to Support Collaborative Application Design
In the Software Engineering field, reuse techniques have presented solutions targeted at increasing quality, and reducing costs and development time. Such expectations motivate the proposition of reusable solutions in various domains, CSCL (Computer-Supported Cooperative Learning) among them. In this paper, we analyze the contributions and limitations to the CSCL field of two striking reuse techniques: components and object-oriented frameworks. Based on this analysis, we present some initial ideas on a component-based architecture to support the design of CSCL applications. The main goal is to allow a designer to primarily focus on the design of his application, based on the selection, adaptation and binding of components targeted at collaborative applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Becker, K.; Blois, A. Considerations on the application of object-oriented reuse technology to the Computer-Supported Cooperative Learning Domain. In: 7th International Workshop on Groupware, 2001, Darmstadt. IEEE Press. p.164–169, Proceedings, 2001.Google Scholar
- Brown, A.; Short, K. On Components and objects: the foundations of component-based development. In: 5th International Symposium on Assessment of Software Tools and Technologies, 1997, Pittsburgh. IEEE Press. p.112–121, Proceedings, 1997.Google Scholar
- Campbell, G. Adaptable Components. In: International Conference on Software Engineering, IEEE Computer Society Press. p. 685–686, Proceedings, 1999.Google Scholar
- Fayad, M. et al. Building application frameworks: object-oriented foundations of framework design. John Wiley & Sons, 1999. 664p.Google Scholar
- Fuks, H., Gerosa, M.A., Cunha, L.M. & Lucena, C.J.P. Groupware Technology for Cooperative Learning via the Internet, Electronic, In: International Conference on Engineering Education-ICEE, Oslo, Norway, Proceedings, 2001.Google Scholar
- Jung, M.; Biersack, E. A component-based architecture for software communication systems. In: Seventh IEEE International Conference and Workshopon the Engineering of Computer Based Systems, 2000, Edinburgh, IEEE Press, p.36–44. Proceedings, 2000.Google Scholar
- Matthews, H.; Collins-Cope, M. Components in Financial Systems. International Workshop on Component-Based Software Engineering. Available in: http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cbs/cbse2000/papers/index.html.
- Roschelle, J. et al. Developing Educational Software Components. Computer, v.32, n.9. 50-58p. Sept. 1999.Google Scholar
- Szypersky, C. Component software: beyond object-oriented programming. Addison-Wesley, New York, 1999. 411p.Google Scholar