InfoFrax: CBR in Fused Cast Refractory Manufacture
This paper describes a CBR application in manufacturing industry, a domain where CBR has by and large proved its applicability and success. The paper details a thorough understanding of the field of fused cast manufacturing basically seen from the perspective of glass furnace, where quality of glass produced is straightaway related to the refractory blocks used in furnace linings. The applicability of CBR paradigm is revisited in the present context. The CBR process needed is conceptualized and designed. The paper describes the evolution of the system beginning with tackling hurdles of knowledge acquisition, a number of pitfalls in the prototype phase, to final implementation of InfoFrax, the CBR system specially devised for the project. It gives an overall description of the architecture and usage. The paper also reports the immediate response to the software in form of direct user feedback, expectations from the existing system, and some future work already underway in the project.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balaraman, V. and Vattam, S., “Finding Common Ground in Case-Based Systems”, In Proceedings of the International Conference KBCS-98, India. Sasikumar, M.: Durgesh Rao.: Ravi Prakash, P.: and Ramani, S. eds. 1998. pp. 25–37Google Scholar
- Balaraman, V., Chakraborti, S., and Vattam, S., “Using CBR Inexact Search for Intelligent Retrieval of Data”, In Proceedings of the International Conference KBCS 2000 India. Sasikumar, M.: Durgesh Rao and Ravi Prakash, P. eds. 2000. pp. 119–130Google Scholar
- Efraim Turban, Expert Systems and Applied Artificial Intelligence, Macmillan, 1992.Google Scholar
- Mike Nelson, “Recent glass refractory application trends”, Glass Industry Development International 2002, pp. 55–57Google Scholar
- Michael, S. M., and Khemani, D., “Knowledge Management in Manufacturing Technology”, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Enterprise Information System 2002, Ciudad Real, Spain, Vol. I, pp. 506–512Google Scholar
- Michael, S. M., and Khemani, D., “An Industrial Application of CBR in Manufacturing to Reduce Rejections”, In Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference, Florida, USA, 2002, pp. 116–120Google Scholar
- Rissland, E.: Kolodner, J.: and Waltz, D. 1989 Case based Reasoning. Proceedings of the DARPA Case-based Reasoning Workshop, 1–13, San Mateo, CA, Morgan KauffmanGoogle Scholar
- Sivakumar A., & Ravi Kannan. In Justification of the Project, Internal memo, CUMI Chennai, 1998.Google Scholar
- Srinivasan, R. “Refractories for Glass Tank Furnaces: Exudation Behavior of AZS Refractories”, Society of Glass Technology, Indian Section, Quarterly Newsletter, 1, Vol. V Number 2. 1998.Google Scholar