A Rule-Based Querying and Updating Language for XML
We present XPathLog as a Datalog-style extension to XPath. The querying part extends XPath with binding variables to XML nodes that are “traversed” when evaluating an XPath expression. Data manipulation is done in a rule-based way. In contrast to other approaches, the XPath-based syntax and semantics is also used for a declarative specification how the database should be updated: XPath filters are interpreted as specifications of elements and properties that should be added to the database. In this paper, we focus on the theoretical aspects of XPathLog. XPathLog has been implemented in the LoPiX system [LoP01].
KeywordsFormal Semantic Variable Binding Path Expression XPath Expression Semistructured Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CDSS99.S. Cluet, C. Delobel, J. Siméon, and K. Smaga. Your Mediators need Data Conversion. In ACM Intl. Conf. on Management of Data (SIG-MOD), 1999.Google Scholar
- DFF+99.A. Deutsch, M. Fernandez, D. Florescu, A. Levy, and D. Suciu. XML-QL: A Query Language for XML. In 8th. WWW Conference. W3C, 1999. W3C Technical Report, http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xml-ql.
- GMPQ+97.H. Garcia-Molina, Y. Papakonstantinou, D. Quass, A. Rajaraman, Y. Sagiv, J. Ullman, V. Vassalos, and J. Widom. The TSIMMIS Approach to Mediation: Data Models and Languages. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, 8(2), 1997.Google Scholar
- GMW99.R. Goldman, J. McHugh, and J. Widom. From semistructured data to XML: Migrating the Lore data model and query language. In WebDB, 1999.Google Scholar
- HKL+98.R. Himmeröder, P.-T. Kandzia, B. Ludäscher, W. May, and G. Lausen. Search, Analysis, and Integration of Web Documents: A Case Study with FLORID. In Proc. Intl. Workshop on Deductive Databases and Logic Programming (DDLP’98), 1998.Google Scholar
- KLW95.M. Kifer, G. Lausen, and J. Wu. Logical Foundations of Object-Oriented and Frame-Based Languages. Journal of the ACM, 42(4):741–843, July 1995.Google Scholar
- LoP01.W. May. LoPiX: A System for XML Data Integration and Manipulation. In Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Demo Session, 2001. See also http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~may/lopix
- May01a.W. May. A Logic-Based Approach for Declarative XML Data Manipulation. Available from http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~may/lopix/.
- May01c.W. May. XPathLog: A Declarative, Native XML Data Manipulation Language. In Intl. Database Engineering and Applications Symp. (IDEAS’01). IEEE CS Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- MB01.W. May and E. Behrends. On an XML Data Model for Data Integration. In Intl. Workshop on Foundations of Models and Languages for Data and Objects (FMLDO 2001), To appear with Springer LNCS, 2001. The Mondial Database. http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~may/Mondial/ Google Scholar
- TIHW01.I. Tatarinov, Z. G. Ives, A. Halevy, and D. Weld. Updating XML. A CM Intl. Conf. on Management of Data (SIGMOD), 2001.Google Scholar
- Wad99.P. Wadler. Two semantics for XPath. 1999. http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/wadler/topics/xml.html.
- W3C.W3C-The World Wide Web Consortium http://www.w3.org.
- XPa99.XML Path Language (XPath). http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath, 1999.