Robust Estimator for the Learning Process in Neural Networks Applied in Time Series
Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) have been used to model non-linear time series as an alternative of the ARIMA models. In this paper Feedforward Neural Networks (FANN) are used as non-linear autoregressive (NAR) models. NAR models are shown to lack robustness to innovative and additive outliers. A single outlier can ruin an entire neural network fit. Neural networks are shown to model well in regions far from outliers, this is in contrast to linear models where the entire fit is ruined. We propose a robust algorithm for NAR models that is robust to innovative and additive outliers. This algorithm is based on the generalized maximum likelihood (GM) type estimators, which shows advantages over conventional least squares methods. This sensitivity to outliers is demostrated based on a synthetic data set.
KeywordsFeedforward ANN Nonlinear Time Series Robust Learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allende H., Moraga C.: Time Series Forecasting with Neural Networks. Forschungsbericht N∘ 727/2000. Universitaet Dortmund Fachbereich Informatik. (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Box G.E., Jenkins G.M. and Reinsel G.C: Time Series Analysis, Forecasting and Control. Ed. Prentice Hall. (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Fox A. J.: Outliers in time series. J. Royal Statist. Soc. Ser B 43 (1972) 350–363Google Scholar
- 9.Hampel F.R., Ronchetti E.M., Rousseeuw P.J., Stahel W.A. Robust Statistics. Wiley Series in Probability and Mathematical Statistics. (1986)Google Scholar
- 11.Weigend A., Gershenfeld N.: Time Series Prediction: Forecasting the Future and Understanding the Past: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Comparative Time Series. (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.White H.: Artificial Neural Networks: Approximation and Learning Theory, Basil Blackwell, Oxford (1992)Google Scholar